Former Employee - Back Office

I worked at Tribune Media

Pros

Good & positive morale and inclusive atmosphere.

Cons

Too much restructuring and realignments of roles/responsibilities.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great opportunity to work on a vast variety of project types and levels of involvement.

Current Employee - User Experience Lead in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - User Experience Lead in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Tribune Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Tribune Technology has a fantastic working environment within the Chicago Tribune building. Along with a high-tech work space, employees enjoy working with many smart and dedicated people.

Cons

Coming out of bankruptcy at the beginning of 2013, Tribune Co. employees are dealing with all that accompanies that process - from uncertainty to the rumor mill.

Advice to Management

Stay strong and carry on.

2. Toxic Waste of all Work Environments

Current Employee - Advertising Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Advertising Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Tribune Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to get to being close to the Red Line and on Michigan Avenue Beautiful historic building Met great friend, all whom were fired/felt forced to quit due to betrayal by management (anyone that works to use their brain and creativity and not just a pulse in a chair is a threat to them.) These people went on to better companies and I got some great networking out of my time there.

Cons

Too many to list. Ideas stolen by management and presented as their own (I know this is common but when they actually subtly rub it in because they know you don't matter) Company recorded outbound calls without notifying the other party that you would call, this lasted until the last quarter of 2012 which is illegal and they probably still have those calls stored in their call recording database because they are terrible at internal data security and their telecom department is so behind in current technology it's laughable. Betrayal at all levels. You can't trust anyone, especially management. If you are unemployed and get a job offer to work here, don't turn it down. Use the downtime to find a new job. The company's name looks good on your resume. While working there, find openings at company that isn't based on a dying industry. Look into the companies that the Tribune is actually affiliated with like careerbuilder or cars.com/homefinder.com (Classified Ventures.) Trainers that train new employees on sales when their previous position was the equivalent of a call center representative? It's laughable. Not to mention the managers who let their emotions and hormones get in the way of making decisions. Giving ultimatums to employees when they say aren't motivated because they have stayed on top of their game for such a long time and given no recognition while the person like I mentioned above who is mediocre at their actual job is given that promotion and that recognition because they project a fake image that is so unreal its impossible to explain. Giving an ultimatum to quit or continue doing the job you tell them in a meeting that you are not feeling fulfilled in because you aren't valued, even the team leads didn't feel valued but they faked it to get that job title too. They are also guilty of betraying their amazing team members because they don't like to deal with someone who is considered difficult yet the most efficient and intelligent person on a small team because they want to do more and want to do better and have in management's own words "too much self motivation." Oh, and being told by the head of a whole department that they won't put what they said to you in front of other managers in writing (regarding the ultimatum) because they know it is wrong especially when HR isn't their to witness it. You have to work here and experience this toxic wasteland to really get what I am writing. Thankfully I'm now working elsewhere and I look forward to working and my co-workers SMILE when they get to work and when they leave! You have to experience the worst to find the good in other jobs, I could even be happier in a retail or restaurant job, it is that bad!

Advice to Management

Hopefully they get rid of all current management and bring in a whole new team that hasn't been influenced by the toxic culture that kept multiplying like cancer.