There are newer employer reviews for TripAdvisor

Sounded good during pre-hire

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Newton, MA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor

Pros

The benefits are good and salary is a bit above normal for average positions. On surface, they appear to care about quality of your work environment and present growth may interfere with that and is understandable when it suffers a bit. If you are an engineer you are all set here.

Cons

A lot of unprofessional "blame gaming" going on with management and departments.
Honestly some of the most unfriendly/hostile management I've ever encountered. The HR people who should be the nicest are some of the worst! Apparently it is more important to blame than it is to assess and resolve problems. I'm seeing some good people take pressure for situations beyond their control.

Listen to your employees! We know where the problems come from and you should trust our experience and expertise. Sometimes it more important to listen and fix problems instead of trying to cover your own "jobs".

188 Other Employee Reviews for TripAdvisor (View Most Recent)

Great place to work. Really great time in this hidden gem.

Former Employee - Product Manager  in  Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Newton, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor

Pros

A hidden gem. People don't really know what goes on at TripAdvisor, but they have a great thing going that was really special to be a part of. It's not as flashy or sexy as some other companies from the outside, but on the inside it was very fulfilling. Never once did I dread going to work, which was a first for me. In fact sometimes I liked it! Sometimes I think about asking to go back.

Cons

Only real negative I can think of is that they are like a machine so a little less prone to take risks with the product. But hey, they have a good thing going and it works.

Try a few experiments with outside the box projects and see what happens. The talent is there to make it work in a big way.

Decent company taking a turn for the worse

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor

Pros

- used to have great benefits but since the company spun off from Expedia, benefits aren't as good
    - exciting projects depending upon the department you are in
    - catered lunches are great, especially considering how remote the office is from a city center or restaurants

Cons

- company is growing too quickly and doesn't have adequate space for employees. They are currently in the process of doubling up employees into shared cubes.
    - attrition is high. a number of key roles have high turn over so it can be challenging to make progress. it seems like this trend is getting worse.
    - travel benefits and discounts recently ended.
    - zero career path and no ability to change departments/explore other roles at TA. your manager has to give you permission to apply for a new position internally so talented people choose to leave instead.
    - ask your co-workers if they want to hang out after work. they can't they are working. what are you doing tonight? working! If you like working 24-7, you will love working at TA!
    - the location is not desirable and makes for a challenging commute. unfortunately this also limits hiring since most people in the area want to work in Boston or Cambridge.
    - tools and reporting resources are not sufficient to support job requirements. very little is centralized and most tasks are manual.
    - the hacked together code base is a disorganized mess that the company is unwilling to put the time or resources into fixing.
    - company has recently become very conservative with expenses, travel, conferences, raises and bonuses. hopefully this will change.
    - depending upon your manager, you won't get to use a lot of the perks outlined during the interview process, like flex time, vacation (use it or lose it!), foosball, participating in social gatherings, etc.
    - it seems like most people not in upper management are doing the work of two people and when people go on vacation or quit there is no way to keep up.

move to new offices as soon as possible. give employees a clearer career path, more opportunities for advancement and the freedom to reasonably explore opportunities in other departments.

There are newer employer reviews for TripAdvisor

Worked for TripAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!