TripAdvisor

There are newer employer reviews for TripAdvisor

Great Expanding Company

Current Employee - Intern in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Smart People
Nice collaboration environment
free lunch
high growth

Cons

not a clear path for career advance

203 Other Employee Reviews for TripAdvisor (View Most Recent)

An opportunity to work with extraordinarily talented people in a flexible environment

Current Employee - Director in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Unlike their peer tech companies (Amazon, Google, Facebook...), TripAdvisor has the flexibility to allow people to move into new roles. If you don't like what you're doing, you can talk to folks and try out a new role. Engineers are regularly encouraged to rotate through other teams to get new perspectives and ways to work. In some cases, the movement is through to non-engineering departments. Again, unlike most places, TripAdvisor works to prevent the "round hole/square peg" problem.

Cons

It is a little intimidating to work with this many smart folks. You have to play at the top of your game. I would also prefer the office to be in a cooler location. Then again, we're outgrowing this space, so perhaps we will move.

In some small elements, shift from a fast-follower to being perceived as thought leaders.

Happiness means not working at TripAdvisor

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nicely designed environment, beautiful salt water fish tank, free food & drinks (if that's what your going for in a career move), some (SOME) really good talent, useful website and excellent Iphone app.

Cons

Company projects itself one way, but internally acts very differently. Hugely political, so plan to play the game and it's not always nice. Roadblocks everywhere. Very poor to no leadership. Creativity killer. So quiet most days (w 200ish people), I used to call it the morgue. No objectives or plan laid out, just day to day work, nothing to work towards. No collaboration, no communication. Non-competitive salary (I make a lot more now that I have left).

Lead. Inspire. Motivate. Manage. Like you've been hired to do. Recognize the talents and assets on your team, and tap those. Respect the members of your team. Take your ego down a few notches so you can actually see who is working for you. Don't (repeatedly) blow people off. Everyone's time is valuable, not just yours. Recognize that people come w skills and experience, so let them use them. LISTEN once in awhile.

There are newer employer reviews for TripAdvisor