There are newer employer reviews for TripAdvisor

Going downhill after the IPO

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

GREAT food
Smart, talented people to work with
Good compensation
Very profitable, popular brand
Looks good on your resume

Cons

Politics
Turf battles between departments
Discourages innovation, runs like a factory
Blame-game culture, caste system
Executives have big egos, total job security, huge bonuses - regardless of ability
Little respect for levels below VP - regular accusations of incompetence. Senior tech people seem to get fired regularly
Few opportunities for growth or promotion
HR is impotent

As a place to work, TripAdvisor has lost its appeal, especially since the split from Expedia.

Show some respect for the people who do the work. Be more accepting of different approaches.

183 Other Employee Reviews for TripAdvisor (View Most Recent)

Rotting from the Core

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Free food/snacks/drinks
    - Good pay
    - Solid company performance
    - For now, still a good name to have on the resume (good time to get out and look!)

Cons

- The environment is getting more TOXIC and OPPRESSIVE by the day
     - Incompetent second level mgt running the company into the ground
    – worst leadership I’ve seen in my entire career
    - Hyper-critical and focused on unnecessary details instead of big picture issues
     - Fear-based management style
     - All decisions, big and small, are based on consensus
    – take forever to finalize and are usually make watered-down ineffective changes
     - Being a jerk is encouraged and accepted behavior.
    - Unfriendly, unprofessional and rude - starts at the top, and has trickled down to all levels.
    - What the company seems to be from the outside and what they say in the interview process is opposite of what it actually is: there are tail-chasing inefficiencies everywhere you look, unrealistic goals with robot-like expectations and short-sighted innovation.
    - Most employees have become complacent and passion-less. Personality, smiles or laughter is practically non-existent. This is an unhappy place to work.

If this were an easy solution, the best people in the company wouldn’t be leaving in droves in this economy and with all the perks, pay and benefits. The company is a dysfunctional, tangled mess with a dismal future. Maybe start by scrapping the second level mgt and hire some less ego-inflated executives that have a track record of managing well (note: I did not say “micro” managing well) and making solid decisions that actually make sense. Wake up and appreciate & trust your talent. Then start innovating and create an actual product roadmap of your own (vs solely riding the coattails of Facebook). It is way too late to make the same “safe” decisions that have kept you going the past decade. Stop being so smug and closed minded – if you were actually as smart as you think you are the company wouldn’t be in the embarrassing state its in! The rot on the inside can only be hidden from the outside world for so long.

A great company who recognizes thier employee as their #1 asset!!

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Great perks
    -Very competitive pay
    -Lots of career options
    -Strong and smart managment team
    -Challenging work
    -Strong HR team who are very connected to the business and always approachable

Cons

-be careful as we grow not to be too process oreinted - it will slow us down.
    -invest more money and resources into learning and development - it's good but could be great

Keep up the great work. Keep treating employee's as your #1 asset - we won't let you down. We need to keep competitive with excellent benefit programs and perks to help retain top talent. Be careful not to become too procress oriented, with the new management and leadership team this can happen, be cautious. Keep up the speed wins mantra and invest in promoting our culture consistenly on a global level.

There are newer employer reviews for TripAdvisor

Worked for TripAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!