There are newer employer reviews for TripAdvisor

Great environment, a little heavy on the management

Current Employee - Manager in Newton, MA
Current Employee - Manager in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

TripAdvisor treats their employees like gold! The benefits (other than vacation time) are the best around and the people working here are genuinely nice and smart. Truly the best working environment I have ever been in. I may have gained 10 pounds though due to the amazing free lunches and the unlimited "snack" wall.

Cons

As I mentioned above, they could be better about vacation time, especially for a travel company. You start with 3 weeks vacation, no personal days. They give "Summer Fridays" but you end up having to put in 40 hours during the week that you take a summer Friday so it doesn't really feel like a perk. Also, there are a lot of layers of management that probably do not need to exist. TA could save some money by eliminating a few layers. They can get a lot more productivity out of the staff they currently have.

Advice to Management

There could be better training opportunities in general. They bring in outside consultants sometimes but it seems like it would be better to have people on staff full-time since from what I have seen the outside consultants they have for training are not very impressive.

Other Employee Reviews for TripAdvisor

1. Great Expanding Company

Current Intern - Intern in Boston, MA
    Current Intern - Intern in Boston, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart People Nice collaboration environment free lunch high growth

Cons

not a clear path for career advance

Happiness means not working at TripAdvisor

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nicely designed environment, beautiful salt water fish tank, free food & drinks (if that's what your going for in a career move), some (SOME) really good talent, useful website and excellent Iphone app.

Cons

Company projects itself one way, but internally acts very differently. Hugely political, so plan to play the game and it's not always nice. Roadblocks everywhere. Very poor to no leadership. Creativity killer. So quiet most days (w 200ish people), I used to call it the morgue. No objectives or plan laid out, just day to day work, nothing to work towards. No collaboration, no communication. Non-competitive salary (I make a lot more now that I have left).

Advice to Management

Lead. Inspire. Motivate. Manage. Like you've been hired to do. Recognize the talents and assets on your team, and tap those. Respect the members of your team. Take your ego down a few notches so you can actually see who is working for you. Don't (repeatedly) blow people off. Everyone's time is valuable, not just yours. Recognize that people come w skills and experience, so let them use them. LISTEN once in awhile.