TripAdvisor

www.tripadvisor.com
There are newer employer reviews for TripAdvisor

Great environment, a little heavy on the management

Current Employee - Manager in Newton, MA
Current Employee - Manager in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (more than a year)

Pros

TripAdvisor treats their employees like gold! The benefits (other than vacation time) are the best around and the people working here are genuinely nice and smart. Truly the best working environment I have ever been in. I may have gained 10 pounds though due to the amazing free lunches and the unlimited "snack" wall.

Cons

As I mentioned above, they could be better about vacation time, especially for a travel company. You start with 3 weeks vacation, no personal days. They give "Summer Fridays" but you end up having to put in 40 hours during the week that you take a summer Friday so it doesn't really feel like a perk.

Also, there are a lot of layers of management that probably do not need to exist. TA could save some money by eliminating a few layers. They can get a lot more productivity out of the staff they currently have.

There could be better training opportunities in general. They bring in outside consultants sometimes but it seems like it would be better to have people on staff full-time since from what I have seen the outside consultants they have for training are not very impressive.

213 Other Employee Reviews for TripAdvisor (View Most Recent)

An opportunity to work with extraordinarily talented people in a flexible environment

Current Employee - Director in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Unlike their peer tech companies (Amazon, Google, Facebook...), TripAdvisor has the flexibility to allow people to move into new roles. If you don't like what you're doing, you can talk to folks and try out a new role. Engineers are regularly encouraged to rotate through other teams to get new perspectives and ways to work. In some cases, the movement is through to non-engineering departments. Again, unlike most places, TripAdvisor works to prevent the "round hole/square peg" problem.

Cons

It is a little intimidating to work with this many smart folks. You have to play at the top of your game. I would also prefer the office to be in a cooler location. Then again, we're outgrowing this space, so perhaps we will move.

In some small elements, shift from a fast-follower to being perceived as thought leaders.

Great Expanding Company

Current Intern - Intern in Boston, MA
    Current Intern - Intern in Boston, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Smart People
    Nice collaboration environment
    free lunch
    high growth

Cons

not a clear path for career advance

There are newer employer reviews for TripAdvisor