TripAdvisor
www.tripadvisor.com Newton, MA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Top-notch engineering group in the Boston area

ProsTripAdvisor treats its engineers really well, with top-of-the-line MacBooks, 30-inch monitors, and frequent opportunities for hackathons & book groups. If you are having trouble, it certainly won't be due to lack of hardware. Everyone is super-intelligent, and even as the company has grown, it has maintained its culture of encouraging frequent face-to-face communication between product managers, designers, and engineers. Work/life balance is encouraged, but employees have a high level of passion about their work, and it never feels like anyone is just there from 9-5.

The company is very data-driven in its methodology, with frequent tests to see which site changes have the most impact. This approach means that small, incremental projects are often favored over large, 6-month initiatives.

TripAdvisor is very popular with users and it is always a thrill when friends and family use the site to plan their vacations.

Lastly, TripAdvisor is a place where any software engineer can build a large network, whether they are a new college grad or have been in industry for a long time. The level of cross-department communication is much higher here than at other companies.

ConsA few areas could be improved. Historically, the company has not had cutting-edge UX design in its DNA, but clearly a continued focus on UX design will help the site improve. All of the engineers are smart, but also extremely opinionated, which makes design & code reviews somewhat more of an arduous process than they need to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't stay content maintaining the site as it is now- continue to take risks improving and iterating on the user experience.

Great company to work for....dynamic with a great culture

Brisbane (Australia)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for less than a year

Pros: - global company - expanding rapidly - young and dynamic - rewards for… Cons: None that I have discovered in my 11 months so… Advice to Senior Management: Please don't let the company become too "corporate" and bureaucratic. This happened at my… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

regrettable experience over the last 2 years

Account Manager (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros: benefits, location in London, commissions Cons: management, company policy about reviews control and customer service Advice to Senior Management: should be more on the field and understand the real… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on TripAdvisor.

Worked for TripAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!

TripAdvisor – Why Work for Us?

Exceptional career opportunities. Genuinely cool coworkers. Millions of people who love our sites. Find it all here at the world's largest travel site. TripAdvisor® is the world's largest travel site*, enabling… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TripAdvisor reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for TripAdvisor CEO Stephen Kaufer. All reviews posted anonymously by TripAdvisor employees.