There are newer employer reviews for TripAdvisor

Fast paced, self-driven, flexible and fun

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible work schedule, interesting and broad engineering work will keep you interested for a long time. all sorts of perks and free snacks. people are nice and laid back (at least the people I have seen and worked with).

Cons

Moves really fast, considerable amount of pressure(good or bad). It is in Newton and the new building will be even further away from the city.

Advice to Management

Sometimes the upper management is a little bit aggressive, they should know difference between the people who try their best to meet their expectations and the people who are pretending.

Other Employee Reviews for TripAdvisor

1. Fantastic company to work for!

Current Intern - SeatGuru Content Intern in Newton, MA
    Current Intern - SeatGuru Content Intern in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I had a fantastic experience at TripAdvisor this summer! Awesome people, great, positive energy and supportive atmosphere. So many great perks and benefits to working for this awesome company.

Cons

None! I really enjoyed coming to work every day and working on cool projects with cool people. Extremely grateful for the opportunity to work at TA!

Good advancement opportunities for those willing to work hard

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

TripAdvisor is growing aggressively and this means there are plenty of promotion and advancement opportunities for people who have ability and are willing to work for it. I've worked at places where there are at least three qualified people jockeying for each opportunity to advance - TripAdvisor is NOT one of them. As of 2013 TripAdvisor is an excellent place for those who want to break through from senior to principal engineer or into management. Overall the level of bureaucracy in engineering is still low and it's possible to get things done without waiting a long time for management to make opaque decisions behind closed doors.

Cons

The location in Newton is not convenient unless you happen to already live in one of the western suburbs. TripAdvisor does not do a lot of fundamental R&D on new technologies. Look elsewhere if that is a priority for you.