TripAdvisor

www.tripadvisor.com
There are newer employer reviews for TripAdvisor

Good reputation, but going down hill fast

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor

Pros

Good reputation, fast pace, free lunch, snacks, games on site, nice people (for the most part), somewhat flexible environment for work/life balance.

Cons

No career development, no pats on the back for a job well done, you're just hassled when things aren't going 100% as planned (think "office space"). Some of the worst managers I've ever had in my life - funny since the CEO says they have a 'No a-holes' policy. Lots of throwing under the bus at this company in general. No real leadership by management which leads to decreased productivity by employees in addition to things just not getting done or being done poorly. Management doesn't listen to employees nor do they treat people equally (lots of favorites played here). These reasons are why there has been an exodus from the marketing team in 09 when there was virtually none in years prior.

Listen to your employees - you hired them for a reason so you should at least consider what they have to say. It shouldn't be your way or the highway.
Re-think some of your processes - speed wins often undoes itself
Be more personable
Re-think your 'no a-holes' policy - either get rid of it or get rid of the a-holes- you know who they are. Lots of managers do NOTHING all day while employees work their bums off

213 Other Employee Reviews for TripAdvisor (View Most Recent)

Love it at TripAdvisor!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor

Pros

First and foremost, the best reason to work at TripAdvisor is the great people here. People work hard and take their jobs and careers very seriously, but also make time to have a lot of fun together. The intersection of travel and web 2.0 is an exciting business to be in. The company's fast growth (organic growth in the U.S. and internationally, plus recent acquistions of several other travel media companies) provides good opportunities for career growth. TripAdvisor works hard to maintain its entrepeneruial "start-up" feel in the way people work, but it has the size and profitibility to offer very competitive compensation and benefits. There is a good feeling of job stability and probably further growth even in the currently difficult economic enviroment.

Cons

Some "growing pains" as the company has doubled in size each of the last several years. What used to be a great feeling of knowing everyone in the company no longer exists.

It is important to keep up and even increase more proactive communication with employees as the company grows - more employees, more geographies, more lines of business.

Love Working At TripAdvisor!

Current Employee - CPM Advertising in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - CPM Advertising in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor

Pros

Working at TA is great because of the flexibility they provide for a work/life balance, as well as all the perks. TA offers a great benefits package, including healthplan options, 401K, plenty of vacation time, free lunch, coffee and snacks, and awesome travel benefits. TA is a very social company too. We have company outings, Friday afternoon happy hours, a softball team, and other misc social events. I also enjoy working at TA because of the people I work with. My coworkers are smart, creative and excited to be there and that motivates me.

Cons

A personal downside for me is the size of the company. I enjoy working for smaller companies, and TA is quite large and keeps growing. But I guess that's a great problem to have!

I would just tell Senior Management to make sure they are staying in touch with what is going on in their departments on a day to day level. The little things often get overlooked by senior management.

There are newer employer reviews for TripAdvisor