TripAdvisor

www.tripadvisor.com
  www.tripadvisor.com
There are newer employer reviews for TripAdvisor

The best first job I could have hoped for.

Current Employee - Software Engineer
Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

I say it's the best "first" job because by being expected to work on the full stack, and being surrounded by the most intelligent and helpful people you will ever meet, you learn a ton of software engineering skills very quickly. Also I want to note that in the time I've been here, the company has been growing quite a bit, and some of us had started getting concerned about losing some important parts of our culture, but upper management took this issue very seriously. The CEO himself set aside a lot of time to chat with us in a small group setting about specific aspects of the culture that we felt were important to maintain. I'm not sure exactly how much an hour of his time is worth in company dollars, but it absolutely solidified my company spirit. We're getting bigger, but not too big to care about the little things.

Cons

There was a time earlier this year when things got hectic. It was not a good time. I think that has passed. Let's hope it doesn't happen again.
(Then again, I suppose there are a lot of companies out there which constantly have that level of stress.)

I've noticed team managers have a lot less time to spend with their actual teams, they seem overcommitted. Also, please pick one project-tracking system and stick with it. I'm losing track of all the places I have to consult for project specs and update with my status. It's a little silly.

204 Other Employee Reviews for TripAdvisor (View Most Recent)

Just okay

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Newton, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

1. Great working environment! Free snack and soda.
    2. People are friendly and like to help each other.

Cons

1. Although they said that they require people to handle both front-end and back-end, they keep giving me front-end job, no chance to touch their back-end at all! Maybe because I am just an intern.
    2. My manager seems don't care about my project. He has no idea what I was doing, and even doesn't care whether I can finish it or not.
    3. Seems my team doesn't care about the intern. No welcome and farewell lunch, which is unusually compared to the other team.

For some managers, although we are intern, please pay a little bit attention to us!!! We are your team member, and not the air!

TripAdvisor Response

Nov 6, 2013Global Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your feedback on our internship programs. It sounds like your experience as an intern could have been improved with more exposure to the management within your teams. This is helpful ... More

Great company culture

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly environment, great company culture that encourages personal career growth and movement within the organization.

Cons

Some of the reporting tools and resources used are in house and not as robust as other companies.

There are newer employer reviews for TripAdvisor