There are newer employer reviews for TripAdvisor

glad I made the move

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (less than a year)

Pros

great leadership, free development classes (including language class), vibrant culture

Cons

sometimes feel too siloed in own group

TripAdvisor Response

Nov 14, 2013Global Manager, Talent Acquisition

We also love our new Learning and Development options--including the language classes. We have a ton of new classes offered all the time, across the globe. And, we agree that our culture is pretty ... More

reviews filtered by

Financially rewarding, but not a lot of fun.

I worked at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

The company continues to grow and has products that put it ahead of the curve in the travel space. It continues to innovate and diversify it's products and has placed itself in a position to continue to do well.

Compensation and benefits/perks can be very good.

Cons

It can be a very political environment, you need to have relationships with the right people to succeed in the long term. Often management is not concerned with how things are done, just that they get done. This trickles down the chain and employees are often viewed as resources to achieve a goal regardless of the impact to them. In many groups you either sink or swim and if you sink you can get thrown under the bus and can become the scape goat for a unsuccessful project or initiative.

I also agree with a previous reviewer that noted that TripAdvisor is keenly aware of glassdoor reviews and strongly encourages current successful employees (those that just got promoted, had a good experience, etc) to write positive reviews on working at Trip. While there may be nothing technically wrong with this, the approach seems odd for a company based on unbiased reviews.

TripAdvisor Response

Dec 5, 2013Global Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your feedback. We're thrilled that you found TripAdvisor financially rewarding. We're also pleased that you think we build cool products that are ahead of the curve--we think so too! We're ... More

Great place to work- great product, great people and company commitment to careers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very smart people. Company commitment to developing employees and their careers. Great product with strong, entrepreneurial leadership. Exciting workplace.

Cons

Fast moving. Don't come out TripAdvisor if you want a slow moving, relaxed company. The dress code is relaxed- but be prepared to move fast. Speed wins isn't just a motto.

Continue to balance the start-up feel while the size of the company increases. Though more infrastructure will be needed over time, the critical view of bureaucracy makes TripAdvisor unique- and it works.

There are newer employer reviews for TripAdvisor