Continued Turnover

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Newton, MA
Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free snacks, free beer
Great product, solid technology

Cons

Senior Mgt "strongly encouraging" current employees to write positive reviews on working at Trip. What? Isnt this how Trip makes money and depends on honest unbiased reviews?

Advice to Management

Outsource the HR dept that is unprofessional, non-confidential, and adds zero value.
Create a quarterly bonus program, that will help offset the mass exodus when employees collect their annual bonus.

TripAdvisor Response

Dec 4, 2013Global Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your review. Useful feedback like this is why we encourage all employees to check out Glassdoor and post reviews--positive and constructive. In fact, we have been actively encouraging ALL ... More

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. The best first job I could have hoped for.

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at TripAdvisor full-time

Pros

I say it's the best "first" job because by being expected to work on the full stack, and being surrounded by the most intelligent and helpful people you will ever meet, you learn a ton of software engineering skills very quickly. Also I want to note that in the time I've been here, the company has been growing quite a bit, and some of us had started getting concerned about losing some important parts of our culture, but upper management took this issue very seriously. The CEO himself set aside a lot of time to chat with us in a small group setting about specific aspects of the culture that we felt were important to maintain. I'm not sure exactly how much an hour of his time is worth in company dollars, but it absolutely solidified my company spirit. We're getting bigger, but not too big to care about the little things.

Cons

There was a time earlier this year when things got hectic. It was not a good time. I think that has passed. Let's hope it doesn't happen again.
    (Then again, I suppose there are a lot of companies out there which constantly have that level of stress.)

Advice to Management

I've noticed team managers have a lot less time to spend with their actual teams, they seem overcommitted. Also, please pick one project-tracking system and stick with it. I'm losing track of all the places I have to consult for project specs and update with my status. It's a little silly.

2. Just okay

Former Intern - Software Development Engineer in Newton, MA
    Former Intern - Software Development Engineer in Newton, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Great working environment! Free snack and soda.
    2. People are friendly and like to help each other.

Cons

1. Although they said that they require people to handle both front-end and back-end, they keep giving me front-end job, no chance to touch their back-end at all! Maybe because I am just an intern.
    2. My manager seems don't care about my project. He has no idea what I was doing, and even doesn't care whether I can finish it or not.
    3. Seems my team doesn't care about the intern. No welcome and farewell lunch, which is unusually compared to the other team.

Advice to Management

For some managers, although we are intern, please pay a little bit attention to us!!! We are your team member, and not the air!

TripAdvisor Response

Nov 6, 2013Global Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your feedback on our internship programs. It sounds like your experience as an intern could have been improved with more exposure to the management within your teams. This is helpful ... More