TripAdvisor
www.tripadvisor.com Newton, MA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Not only an amazing opportunity, but also a very fun atmosphere

Marketing (Current Employee)
Newton, MA

ProsThere are a lot of really greet positives that stand out and have been often repeated on this site:
      - Free Lunch 3 days a week
      - Flexible Work schedules, Summer Fridays, etc.
      - Snack Wall
      - Gym Reimbursement
      - Xbox 360, Wii, Rockband, Foosball, etc.
      - Friday Happy Hours

While all of the above make working at TripAdvisor a pleasure, they are only a small part of why I enjoy working here. The work itself is exciting -- the cross section of travel and tech. is rapidly evolving and the # of players are constantly growing. I know its cliche, but I like how fast-paced the environment is and how transparent the results of my work can be. The popular motto "Speed Wins" can at times be tiresome to here, but there is a innate truth to it that fuels progress at the company. If you are the type of person that gets excited about coming up with an ideas and then figuring out how to bring them to market rapidly, this will be an excellent experience.

Ultimately, the best part of my time at TripAdvisor has been the people. When you spend at least 8 hours a day with a group of people, your happiness at work is dictated by not only the people you report to, but also the people you interact with regularly, whether its work related or at lunch and company happy hours. I've found the people I work with to be helpful, interesting, and most importantly, genuinely good people.

ConsIn terms of negatives, nothing stands out as an obvious negative. There are concerns though, that relate to different groups and can get in the way of you enjoying your job.

First and foremost, I think you need to take a long and hard look at who your manager is going to be and what his or her managing style is going to be like prior to taking a job at TripAdvisor. If you know people that work at TripAdvisor, fully make use of that resource and try to understand as much about the group you are joining as you can. I believe you are in charge of managing your own career and the reason there are some mixed experiences at TripAdvisor is because different managers and different groups operate differently. Product is very different from Engineering which is in turn different from Mobile or New Initiatives. Some bosses are more hands on and others give you a bit more rope.

A second issue is career advancement. TripAdvisor is rapidly growing, which can be done in many different ways. Some of it has clearly been through acquiring other internet companies into the TripAdvisor Media Group umbrella, which, for the most part, will have no affect on your career. The second, which can be questionable is the hiring of middle/upper level management that tends to create new layers of the pyramid that didn't previously exist. How that would affect your own career progression is unclear at this point. I think it is critically important to have an open conversation with your manager about career progression before joining, and maintain that dialogue over the duration of your career.

Lastly, there is the issue of collaboration between groups and overarching oversight. I think as a whole, we do a very good job of pushing out new ideas and distributing responsibility between the groups. However, different groups sometimes have diametrically opposed goals which puts added pressure on upper management to determine the overall direction of the company. I think there could be better communication of the direction we want to take TripAdvisor over the next few years and more collaborative brainstorming that helped make people feel invested in the company as a whole, and not just the group we work in. For example, its easy for a group to feel that their only concern is to increase the # of subscriptions or referrals to a new product, but not enough work is done to communicate how your individual goals tie into the company's goals and determining where collaboration between groups can further progress for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be diligent about hiring great talent with a passion for travel and tech. Moreover, don't be afraid to expand your recruiting network and reshape how you grow the company.

It's got it it's ups and downs

I have been working at TripAdvisor

Pros: The best thing about working at Tripadvisor is that for the most part you will be working with a LOT of very smart people.… Cons: You will work hard at Tripadvisor. Don't be surprised by 50-60 hour weeks. Some of the management teams fail to realize what they… Advice to Senior Management: Recognition. A simple pat on the back can go a long way, but after somebody rolls out a product that make you multiple millions… More

Address the issues soon.

I have been working at TripAdvisor

Pros: Some of the best people work here. Not having to worry about lunch is great.… Cons: The company has grown so much and it's has obvious growing pains. There have been many re-orgs in the past year to address issues,… Advice to Senior Management: There are not enough chiefs to handle all the facets of Marketing, managers are over-loaded with too many direct reports. Disperse PM's to specific… More
There are newer reviews on TripAdvisor.

Worked for TripAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!

TripAdvisor – Why Work for Us?

Exceptional career opportunities. Genuinely cool coworkers. Millions of people who love our sites. Find it all here at the world's largest travel site. TripAdvisor® is the world's largest travel site*, enabling… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TripAdvisor reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for TripAdvisor CEO Stephen Kaufer. All reviews posted anonymously by TripAdvisor employees.