There are newer employer reviews for TripAdvisor

Great place to work with perks, but be prepared to work for it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Newton, MA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor

Pros

The free lunches and summer Fridays! No there are better reasons but those are pretty good. The site is a great product and the culture promotes innovation. People like to get projects moving and make things happen which can be challenging, but yet very satisfying.

Cons

People work A LOT. They like stay "lean" and as a result, people work more than other places. This mentality also puts a major strain on engineering and creative resources.

Hiring can be a bit slow which doesn't help the resources issue.

Also, people can have a big head about TA which means that it can be slightly unfriendly.

Keep up the good work! I would also push them to create more incentives outside of salary and scheduled bonuses. Everyone works so hard, there should be an incentive for it!

186 Other Employee Reviews for TripAdvisor (View Most Recent)

Are we making the world a better place?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Needham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor

Pros

Web 2.0 in Boston, beats Monster.com and other local opportunities. Decent work/life balance for employees with children. Well known web site with a good reputation within travel and Internet industries. Pays above market rates. Growing with opportunities for lateral movement.

Cons

"What have you done for me lately?" - contributions are not valued, only expected (despite management rhetoric). Slightly out of touch with latest technology trends. On a day to day basis, little to do with travel industry - could be selling widgets and most employees are not passionate about travel per se. Crummy commute to Newton. Slower moving than expected (despite management rhetoric). Marketing/sales driven company. "Old" office culture, does not feel like a typical high energy Internet place to work.

What would it take to make TripAdvisor a cool place to work? Management team has been static for years. Company is missing a next generation of leaders.

Great place to work. Feels like a startup, but stability of a very successful company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor

Pros

TripAdvisor provides a fast paced environment where individuals can make a difference. I love it here, and it seems like most others do as well. Risk taking is encouraged, and it is okay to try something big and fail. The company embraces change. The company also just wants to get a lot done, even if it means every feature isn't perfect to begin with.

Cons

You have to be comfortable with change, and not a perfectionist. If you really care about how every pixel is layed out on the web site, or want the time to do a 100% job every time... this isn't the company for you.

Keep your hiring standards rigiorous as we grow.

There are newer employer reviews for TripAdvisor

Worked for TripAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!