There are newer employer reviews for TripAdvisor

overall good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Newton, MA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor

Pros

cutting-edge company that's growing rapidly

Cons

unhealthy behavior of some of those in leadership

get rid of the employees in leadership who are toxic for the co and those they are leading

187 Other Employee Reviews for TripAdvisor (View Most Recent)

Experience Depends on Who Your Boss Is

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I worked at TripAdvisor

Pros

TripAdvisor offers great benefits, but they're unfortunately overshadowed by bad middle-management and in my case, a horrible manager experience. Some of the benefits:
    - Pay is excellent
    - Benefits (health, dental, even pet insurance) are great
    - Free catered lunch three times per week
    - Unlimited snacks/beverages
    - Good number of vacation & sick days even for entry-level
    - Flexible in terms of time off/working from home (depends on supervisor, so I didn't benefit here)

Also, TripAdvisor has a ton of great people who are passionate about their jobs, and you can learn so much from them if you have the opportunity to work with the right people.

Cons

My experience at TripAdvisor was horrible because of my supervisor. She got me in trouble for being motivated and trying to take on more responsibility (in addition to what my role already required), which is so counterintuitive. Although the company boasts flexibility as a benefit (working from home during storms or when sick, or adjusting hours slightly if you live far away), my boss was a nazi about it. One time I got into a car accident in an ice storm on the way to work, and went back home to work from there the rest of the day, and she still gave me a hard time about not coming in.

Personal experience aside, there was also a lot of office politics in middle-management. Sure, the company went through some growing pains, which is understandable. But considering that the mantra is "speed wins," speed became impossible with the growing amounts of red tape around product reviews. Middle-management also manages by fear, so although the CEO encourages people to try new things even if it means failing, it's hard to take that leap when middle-management might hold your job accountable.

Although they claim that they prefer promoting/hiring from within (essentially, switching departments) it's near impossible to do so. If anything, you'll be belittled for asking. Also, don't ever confide in HR for anything. If you tell one of them something in confidence, it will be the newest office gossip the next day.

Steve, take a good hard look at middle-management. You claim to have a no-assholes policy, but you hired plenty to work directly beneath you. TripAdvisor has tons of great people who are smart, friendly, and passionate about making TripAdvisor a better site and product. But they're being stifled by several of the VP/Senior-level people.

Favorite job I have had

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Newton, MA

I have been working at TripAdvisor

Pros

There is a pragmatic attitude of getting things done which matches my own. There's also a pretty good understanding of what engineers like me are and are not interested in doing.

Work/life balance is respected - working hours are flexible and I've never had trouble taking time off or working from home when necessary. I rarely feel pressured to work extra hours or rush things.

The catered lunches are a nice perk - they remove one thing to worry about.

Cons

The 'pragmatic attitude' mentioned above does not suit everyone. From an engineering point of view it means the emphasis is on making things work rather than making all the code perfect and beautiful.

As the company grows, it is becoming increasingly compartmentalized. For example, the area of the site I work on has become narrower as the work is spread out among more engineers. (However I have mentioned this to my managers and feel confident I could switch to something else if I wanted to).

I rarely find time to use the games room or kegerator.

Give up on the line about TA being like a startup that happens to be big - it really isn't any more.

As I mentioned above, the company is becoming more compartmentalized, and there are hints that there is growing internal competition between teams. I don't think this is good for any of us. Encouraging sideways mobility could help reduce the problem - i.e. make it easier for employees to move between teams and work on different parts of the site. (Letting them work together will achieve more than making them eat lunch together.)

There are newer employer reviews for TripAdvisor

Worked for TripAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!