Good highs, followed by lows.

I have been working at TripAdvisor

Pros

There's a common theme around the posts and my experience is no different. Benefits are great, they have tried to create a collaborative environment and the office space is great. You like coming in to work.

Cons

The bosses. As others have mentioned, it's one thing to work for Steve, another to work for some of the people populating the second rung of leadership.

Peel back the growth in traffic numbers and look at actual projects - see what's actually lived up to its promise and what hasn't. There's some very arrogant people in the second tier who take credit for essentially achieving nothing on their own. What happens, is inspite and not because of them.

Other Reviews for TripAdvisor

3 thumbs up

I have been working at TripAdvisor

Pros

Decent benefits and advancement opportunities. Compensation is fair, and culture is pretty laid-back and open. Things get done, often quickly, and employee input is valued. Teams usually work together well without unhealthy competition. I like the people -- a lot.

Cons

Recognition of achievements and contributions is not senior management's forte. As I mentioned above, I think compensation adequately reflects contributions and achievements, but it's not a place where you get many warm fuzzy feelings or often feel appreciated in a qualitative way.

It seems like we're in a period where we're trying to figure out what kind of culture we're going to have going forward. As the company gets bigger I worry a bit about a more rigid hierarchical culture making inroads. Certainly to some extent adjustments have to be made as any company grows, and such a culture is obviously more easily scalable than a more open-door, fly by the seat of your pants culture, but I think we have to be careful about losing too much of the small-company agility and openness that in my opinion have been among the primary drivers of our success so far.

Had High Expectations, Left Very Disappointed

I worked at TripAdvisor

Pros

Generally very smart people
    Tremendous Engineering team - hands down the best I have worked with
    Free lunch
    Hotel discounts
    Stable & successful business

Cons

I joined TripAdvisor with very high expectations having heard it was a great place to work, with exciting projects and a wonderful culture. I have to say I was disappointed on all fronts.

There are a lot of well educated and bright people unfortunately the few that let it go to their heads create an atmosphere of micromanagement that is intolerable. I will echo earlier comments about making sure you know who you will be reporting too.

"Speed Wins" is indeed the mantra but don't expect to put your stamp on much. Even minor decisions are dictated from the top and if you are caught in the middle of a disagreement between two senior managers the paralysis can be demoralizing.

Taking risks and learning from failure is supposed to be part of the culture but I did not see much risk taking and there was a strange fear of any failure from most employees.

Maybe constant reorganizing is a hot management trend I am unaware of - intended to keep employees on their toes. The downside is it creates a lot of unnecessary stress, and breaks apart teams just when they were hitting their stride.

Allow employees an outlet to provide feedback on their managers as part of the review process.

There are newer employer reviews for TripAdvisor.

Worked for TripAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!