Troon Golf
www.troongolf.com Scottsdale, AZ 1000 to 5000 Employees

As a high school student, it was probably one of the best jobs in the area

Outside Operations (Former Employee)
Greenville, DE

Pros-Most of the work takes place outside--better than sitting at a desk all day in my opinion.
-Course is a beauty... great overall atmosphere
-Members aren't the uppity types
-If you're making tips, it pays well. Members are all wealthy and tip generously, which is interesting because the course has a policy that they don't have to tip. They definitely take good care of you there.
-If you like golf, you get a big employee discount on merch from the golf shop, and you can order whatever you want at wholesale prices (or WS + 10%)--which means clothes are very cheap.
-Also, you get the chance to play golf there every once in a while as long as you call ahead to make sure it isn't busy. (Be careful not to abuse this though)
-Restaurant makes an employee lunch every day-- everybody always looks forward to Fieldstone burger day. On weekends you might get an order of chicken tenders if you're lucky.

Cons-Communication is difficult at times just by the nature of the job--- there are a ton of people involved in operations management.
-There's this thing called "the pit" on the side of the driving range. Basically its a steep hill of really tall grass where hundreds of golf balls collect every day... its our job, once a week, to go in there and hand-pick each ball out of there individually. It is easily the worst part of the job, as usually only 1 or 2 people are assigned to the task of pulling out 2-3 trash barrels of balls out of there in a 2-3 hour period.
-There's a tendency for the pros to micromanage a little too much. The course is pretty elite, so they try to make sure every little detail is perfect. Completely understandable, but at times it can get annoying.
-Every once in a while, and in all honesty it doesn't happen often, you'll come across a member that is either really rude or snarky.
-This is probably the most important thing to know going into the job: You are not going to make tips for the first year that you work there. Don't expect it, and don't begrudge other employees for making more tips than you--that's how most of the problems start, and has led to more than a few people being asked to leave. If you work hard, have a good attitude, and are very respectful and attentive to what members need, then you'll get there. Be patient

Advice to Senior ManagementBetween the Head Pro, 2 Asst Pros, PGA Apprentice, and Pro Shop workers, it seemed like the organization structure felt really tall and difficult to manage at times. I didn't feel like I had 1 boss. The #1 problem is always communication because 1) The weekly schedule changes every week (so it takes extra effort to figure out who needs to know what)... 2) there are so many people that need to be on the same page. I'd tell management to experiment with different organization styles like cross-functional teams/unity of certain pros with workers--so everyone knows who they answer to.

Great Company!

Superintendent (Current Employee)
    Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Troon Golf full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Troon Golf is the best company to grow with in the golf industry! There are… Cons: Some people would view the passion of the company managers as… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Unethical corporate behaviors & Very high turnover

Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Troon Golf full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: If you like discounted Golf at high-end facilities, this is the place to work. If you need to find a job fast and you have… Cons: Free golf is a thing of the past. Turnover is… Advice to Senior Management: Start holding yourselves and those beneath you (us) accountable again. Believe it or not, the idea… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Troon Golf.

Worked for Troon Golf? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Troon Golf reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Troon Golf CEO Dana Garmany. All reviews posted anonymously by Troon Golf employees.