There are newer employer reviews for TrueCar

Great at first, but once you see the favoritism it's disheartening.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Monica, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at TrueCar full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice office. Casual dress. Good benefits.

Cons

Lots of favoritism. Hires people who are "friends" Cliques. If you're not in the clique you won't be happy. Expect you to be "on call" 24 hours a day. Not much work life balance. The CEO is very stuck on himself. Won't engage in conversation unless you're a VP or upper management. He likes to to very generous but only to people who are in his club. He can't even muster up a hello to you. The HR team is a joke. If you're not pretty and petite forget it. They're more interested in looking "cute and adorable" then being a true HR dept.

Stop with the Fraternity mentality. Stop hiring friends of friends. Your motto is to be transparent. There is NOTHING transparent about TrueCar other than if you're not in the club you might as well get out.

36 Other Employee Reviews for TrueCar (View Most Recent)

TrueCar is fun, crazy, interesting, and slowly growing up.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at TrueCar full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

TrueCar is a fun, growing company with a great mission that you can get behind (make car buying easier and more transparent for everyone). We have fancy offices with unbelievable ocean views. We have fantastic benefits. And despite growing up, we still occasionally behave like a startup and host margarita-fueled happy hours right inside the office.

The HR team at TrueCar is among the best I've ever encountered. They know your name, they are responsive to your requests, and they actively seek out employee feedback. They are a genuinely top-notch team and I really appreciate that they don't sit still. They are constantly testing out new ways to improve life at the company (new benefits, free lunches, cool parties, fun happy hours, process improvements, etc).

Overall, TrueCar is a great place to work but you need to understand that we are a company in the midst of a major transformation. As I write this in early 2014, I'd say that TrueCar is too mature for those seeking a hardcore startup experience and too fast-paced for those seeking a cushy nine-to-five. But if you are looking for something special in between - a place where your contributions still very much matter and where you can be super proud of the progress that your company is bringing to the world - then I’d heartily encourage you to apply. There’s plenty of ocean view for everyone.

Cons

- The level of bureaucracy is steadily increasing as we add more staff. This is an inevitable part of growing up but may frustrate you if you're seeking an authentic startup experience.

- There is still little to no work/life balance and the expectation is that you will be available at virtually any time. If you check your email at 11pm on a weeknight or at any point on a weekend, you're almost guaranteed to have a few messages waiting for your response. This is slowly getting better as the company matures but now there is some tension between the teams that are still working crazy hours and those that have managed to relax the pace. Overall, you need to be prepared to WORK if you join TrueCar.

- The organizational structure changes drastically every January and is marked by a 3-month long period where nobody knows who is responsible for what. Momentum and accountability vanish until the dust finally settles in March/April. You'll get used to it.

- The performance review process is long and tedious and lacks accountability. We try to use an orderly SMART goals-based process but SMART goals work best for stable, consistent, slow-moving companies. TrueCar changes direction quickly and frequently, so there’s always plenty of wiggle room for those in charge to turn the process into a popularity contest. To the HR team’s credit, they have been listening to employee feedback and have been making changes (manager reviews were added in 2013, for instance, and we are now allowed to edit our SMART goals midway through the cycle). I’d like to see a peer-review component added because I think that it will close the loop and make the possibility of a popularity contest less likely.

I'm generally happy with the upper management at TrueCar. No company is ever going to be perfect but our leadership team does a fine job of steering the ship and making sure that the important things are taken care of. The two areas where I'd like to see changes made are:

1. Add a peer-review component to the performance review cycle to make the process truly accountable.

2. Be more clear about who owns what during the annual re-org. This means that we need to make a clear organization chart available at the time of the announcement and we need to ensure that there are clear owners for all products and services. The less ambiguity there is, the sooner we can all get back to work.

It was an alright experience

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at TrueCar as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Working with extremely knowledgeable professionals who are very focused and organized. Company has great processes in place and is extremely efficient in handling them timely.

Cons

Sometimes the environment felt a little cliquish and not as warm -that is an individual perception of course. I am sure other individuals may have different experiences about this place, so I will give it the benefit of the doubt.

Anyone who leaves a bad review is not to be labeled as a disgruntled employee. In fact, when an employer can embrace "negative" reviews it shows that they can be objective. How can you learn what areas need improvement if you only take the praises from current and former employees?

There is always some truth to be told even if a feedback comes in a negative manner.

There are newer employer reviews for TrueCar

Worked for TrueCar? Contribute to the Community!