Good Pay but no team building - atmosphere is low

Current Employee - Quantity Surveyor in London, England (UK)
Current Employee - Quantity Surveyor in London, England (UK)

Pros

Good pay, 29 days holiday allowance etc good pension

Cons

There have been various changes in company structure and redundancies. These have left the company feeling life less. There is no socializing or team building. The managers are not very good at managing their employees - they lack management skills.

Advice to Management

Team building and making your employees feel valuable and helping them to enjoy their work is important. Take some action!

Other Employee Reviews for Tube Lines

1. Good pay but development at the discrestion of functional management

Former Employee - Lead Design Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Lead Design Engineer in London, England (UK)

Pros

Tube Lines offers challenging work and performance recognised (but seems to be only by the Bechtel secondees). There are plenty of opportunities to grow and develop but you have to push and push.

Cons

Poor development opportunities. For a young ambitious person, age may be a hinderance. The hours are long but for me it was self imposed as I wanted to develop faster.

Advice to Management

Help your employees develop the way they want to, not how you think they should develop.

2. Great learning experience while TL was a private company

Former Employee - Graduate Scheme in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Graduate Scheme in London, England (UK)

I worked at Tube Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely collaborative and transparent internally Training and learning taken seriously Efficiency and lean streaming in managing approach Core objectives and company values truly drive business

Cons

Limitations due to working with LU - bureaucracy and lots of papershifting Unfortunately this meant that many great ideas just stayed ideas and never make it to application

Advice to Management

My experience here was very positive - very helpful and encouraging - allowed me to explore ideas - feedback (both criticism and praise) Being very ambitious and keen to design creatively in the building sector, I found my scope for career development limited and this is why I decided to leave - but I was glad to have made experience last 3 secondments which showed me operational side of business closely and desk-based projects. When I was at TLL, I found that there were many graduates and managers that shared interest and drive for innovation - but often enough their scope for improvement of infrastructure was hindered by strict regulations. My advice to management would be to ensure that their energy and inclusion is still encouraged to enable migration and flow of ideas between teams. Graduates should also take more control over their projects (with support from mentors of course).