TubeMogul

www.tubemogul.com
There are newer employer reviews for TubeMogul

The vibe of a dot-com company with a real business proposition

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at TubeMogul full-time (less than a year)

Pros

TubeMogul tries to keep the small company feel alive with social events, swag, and an open management style. The work is challenging, cutting edge, and rewarding. Business is growing, we continue to staff, and everyone is positive about our future. Management pays attention to constructive feedback and suggestions.

Cons

We work even harder than we play. The open workspace environment promotes communication and teamwork but can be distracting. There is pressure to produce, which is a good motivator but if you are used to working at giant, dinosaur-like companies, you won't fit in.

Continue to reward high-performing, current employees and there is no real reason that anyone would want to leave.

70 Other Employee Reviews for TubeMogul (View Most Recent)

Best job I've had; great culture and a perfect place to learn fast

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at TubeMogul full-time

Pros

To a certain extent being a current employee makes me biased, but I will endeavor to be honest here since I am staying anonymous (though someone smart could possibly sleuth who I am). Despite being frequently recruited by bigger-name tech companies (i.e. Google) during my tenure here, I stay because something special is happening at TubeMogul.

In terms of corporate success, TubeMogul hits its aggressive revenue goals, the exec team works hard and the company has a knack for making the right moves. But what keeps people here (very few leave) is much deeper than that.

TubeMogul is not not the flashiest startup in ad-land, but it has a reputation for honesty and backing promises with real technology clients can see, and that matters more. In a media industry with vaporware and buzzwords and BS, we have the culture of a tech company -- transparent, and backed by engineering few if any in our space can match. This culture of transparency permeates how employees are treated, as well as into products and marketing.

Another big part of the culture is something the execs call "bias for action" which I guess is a cliche now that Facebook made a similar phrase famous but is very meaningful in terms of day-to-day work-life. When I started, I was told that "you will never get judged here for making mistakes if you are getting sh*t done; what you WILL get in trouble for is inaction or dropping something." This is freeing, and it means people can DO more with fewer questions, learn faster and actually end up making better decisions in the long run.

Personally, I've been pushed to grow, leading to three promotions since starting. Others have experienced similar; there are a handful here who we hired straight out of school who are now very senior or even heads of departments.

In terms of perks, TubeMogul has the standard startup bells and whistles: stock options, party buses to rented venues to celebrate achievements, massage chair room, mixers, freebies, good benefits (medical/dental/vision/life with a $20 buy-in for most single folks), etc.

Plus if you're in Oakland or Berkeley or its environs, there are few companies that can match the location.

In short, they're killing it.

Cons

Beer isn't free, but it does come from a Coke machine. Career-wise, there is a lot of responsibility and some pressure, which isn't for everyone (I actually view this as a pro but put it here for reference), and you have to be proactive to establish yourself.

The only other thing I can think of is that I agree with whoever said that there are a few less-recognized folks in the middle who are maybe less outspoken about it but are truly stellar, and might be considered for more responsibility and deference rather than hiring from the outside. I bet HR will remedy that.

Above

TubeMogul has been the most rewarding and challenging place ever to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at TubeMogul full-time (less than a year)

Pros

TubeMogul has tons of smart people to work with. We are great at collaborating with other departments. TubeMogul is also very fun and has lots of company functions throughout the year.

Cons

TubeMogul does educate and train their employees on new products but more training would help.

Continue building excellent products.

There are newer employer reviews for TubeMogul