Great place to teach!

Current Employee - Lecturer in Medford, MA
Current Employee - Lecturer in Medford, MA

I have been working at Tufts University part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of freedom to do what's best for the students!

Cons

Manic focus on grading the students. Typical university politics relative to new ideas, coursework.

Advice to Management

Big change is coming, driven Massively Open Online Courses - better to embrace change now!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Decent Benefits; Total Mess

Current Employee - Staff Assistant in Medford, MA
    Current Employee - Staff Assistant in Medford, MA

I have been working at Tufts University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a university, so you get a lot of great benefits, including tuition remission. Most departments will keep you happy for a few years. Parking costs are not as high as BU or Harvard. In terms of weather, we pretty much only close if the Governor says we should. (MIT is similar). Some depts are great with flexibility. My boss is great with a new mother and a mother of two young girls. It's definitely worth getting into for ~3 years. You get a 401(a) that they contribute to. (You don't have to match!!) You get to keep it if you put in 3 years. Great way to get experience and get out of Tufts.

Cons

Tufts is totally disorganized and does not care about department administrations. If you work in central, there may be less BS, but if you work in a dept, you are valued little. A LOT of turnover to Harvard, where people are paid more for the same type of work. We joke that we are a feeder school to Harvard for STAFF. Ridiculously high turnover. You have to put up with a lot of guesswork. Not much information from Central admin. I often get information from other universities in regard to federal regulations (related to my job). HR is absolutely awful. I handle payroll in my (large) dept, and I can tell you those people don't care about doing anything on a timely basis. If you are looking at becoming a postdoc, plan on them losing your paperwork. Really. I'm sorry.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees for once. When they tell you not to buy a software system; don't do it. When you lose someone who has worked there for years because you refuse to pay them for their performance, care. Some amazing staff members leave because you refuse to pay your staff well. 2% raises every year (these are considered "merit" raises) don't cut it in the Boston area.

2. Good postdoc experience at Tufts University school of medicine

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Tufts University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work environment is very supportive and friendly. Available equipment covers almost all needs. Sharing and collaboration among labs is a huge plus. Location in chinatown in Boston means you're 5 min walk away from most subway lines (green, orange, red) and 8-10 min walk away from south station for commuter rail.

Cons

Boston campus does not have a respectable gym for employees and postdocs. Year to year salary increase has been less than inflation rate for the past three years. Teaching opportunity is scarce since Boston campus does not have undergraduate departments. Commuting by car would be a big mistake because of location, though that will not be a problem for most people (see pros)