Tulane University

www.tulane.edu
  www.tulane.edu
There are newer employer reviews for Tulane University

Love the work, love the benefits, hate the bureaucracy

I have been working at Tulane University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Tulane offers extensive benefits - a tuition waiver is the best of them. Tulane also offers challenging and interesting work. I can't think of a position that would be afforded interesting opportunities at least sporadically if not regularly. The location is fabulous, the working conditions are very good and for the most part, the staff is congenial. There are plenty of benefits to employment at this university.

Cons

My experience has shown me that the biggest flaw of the academic administration of Tulane is unneeded bureaucracy. The structure of my department of seven people includes four managers. There are more managers than subordinates in my office. While soothing to the egos of those incapable of doing the work, there is no reason to have that much bureaucracy in such a small department. In addition, I've found that many promotions are proof of the Peter Principle. Employees tend to stay at the university for a very long time, resulting in promotion beyond their level of expertise simply because they are the most senior. This is certainly true of my three direct superiors. It has resulted in a toxic environment that runs off of fear and lies, gossip and back stabbing. The purpose of the work is ignored and the manta of "cover your ass" has been adopted. It is truly unfortunate because I love my job, the work itself. But detox will be necessary eventually.

Tulane should become a flatter organization. The number of levels of management is startling and stifling. My daily activities are micro-managed to give my manager a reason for being there. I am less efficient and produce a lower quality product as a result. Tulane should also work toward aligning all employees with the purpose of the university. Everyone in my department walks at 5pm. No one seems to have a commitment to the goals. Departments squabble and make working together unpleasant. No one wants to step outside of his or her role to help. We're not one team but many different teams that are subdivided and then headed by incompetent people because all of the teams need a manager. Or four. Unfortunately, my experience is not unique as I've heard similar stories from around campus. I've been made jealous by a few good stories as well, but the bad outweigh the good and the cost is dedicated and capable employees who can't take the abuse.

118 Other Employee Reviews for Tulane University (View Most Recent)

Great environment, poor treatment by some department managers, supervisors, and directors

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Tulane University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are ok; paid holidays, sick & vacation time, health insurance (recently increased), dental discount, vision, contributes 8% of annual salary towards retirement (after 2years of employment...), but does not have a company matching program (employees can still contribute) FSA, life insurance, etc. Tuition waiver for two classes or six credit hours per semester which ever is equal or less than what the cap is. Some discounts on certain things campus wide; including laptop repair (which used to be free; students operate on it, but they don't take good care of it and could hardly ever figure out the problem), huge discount on software such as Microsoft Office. Other little perks here and there. One can browse the website for information. Can be a fun environment at times and there are always exciting events throughout the semester, but when the students are gone everything stops and the campus is pretty much empty.

Cons

In some departments there are incompetent and insensitive directors, managers & supervisors. they treat their employees like garbage and when they get upset or when they do not like you they begin to target you by harassing and micro-managing you & they are quick to tell you if you don't like it go work somewhere else. Majority of the employees are unhappy and are alway extremely stressed out. Its very oppressing, there's too much bureaucracy and favoritism. Hourly employees are overworked, underpaid and have no time for family and friends. You must work overtime every time they want you to and when you can not then your job is at risk.
    Managers gives evaluations that are very bias because if you are someone that does your job and stand up to the managers about their bullying of employees then they give you a bad review which goes to WFMO and you won't get a raise. The university makes you fill out an conflict-of-interest every year - not too bad except they hardly want you to do anything else. They want to own your time and no other work, not even your own company can have priority. Handbook says that nepotism is not allowed, however there is plenty of nepotism. Whenever you bring up an issue or even a suggestion it is dismissed, causes management to be offended, or they will patronage you like they care, but never take steps to make things better. Hopefully, employees will someday stand up against such horrible conditions and rise to flip the hierarchy system around.

Please excuse any errors, I am typing from my iPad!

Please pay attention to what is going on. You all should hold your directors and managers accountable and ensure that your employees are being treated legally and fair. Please change the bureaucracy that is in place, you all care so much to help promote human rights for others, but not your own employees. I would suggest sending managers through extensive training on law, policies and how to treat students, customers, and employees. There is a whole lot of things that needs to change and it takes time, but listening is the first step to progress. . .

Nice people, laid back

I have been working at Tulane University

Pros

Very relaxed; hours and workload were reasonable. Easy to move around within the university. You have access to everything on campus including lectures, the library, and the gym.

Cons

The pay is very low. There are varying degrees of effort put into jobs. A lot of people have been there forever and probably won't leave.

There are newer employer reviews for Tulane University