There are newer employer reviews for Turn

Great company! Smart & hungry people, leading technology & great strategy!

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in London, England (UK)
Current Employee - Sales Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Turn full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very organized and structured hiring process! Turn really makes sure that candidate and company fit together. The global reach of Turn is also a big plus for me as a Non-US employee! Great potential for International staff to grow together with the company, and work in different regions of the world. Everybody seems to be super smart and open to support new employees, which is a great corporate culture.

Complimentary lunch, snacks & sodas provided in all offices worldwide doesn't hurt either. ;-)

Cons

Cannot see any so far!

Advice to Management

Continue what you do, and manage the hyper growth of Turn successful!

reviews filtered by

Learned more in one year here than anywhere

Current Employee - Product Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Turn full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people are smart and work hard. Some of the best innovative thinking in the industry.

Cons

Struggling with being a larger company. Not all layers of management are experienced enough to go through this transition. Cowardly trolls who post anonymous garbage on this site and try and bring our reputation down with their terrible remarks that have no basis in fact.

Advice to Management

My advice to upper management is to find and fire the trolls who continually tear this company down on Glassdoor. Enough is enough. It's embarrassing to know that some of my coworkers have such little respect for decency that they have to air dirty laundry on a public website. You all are cowards and if you are that unhappy please leave and dont let the door hit you on the way out. You are embarrassing us and your vitriole is being used by our competitors to sell against us (mainly mind you because since their cloud technology is inferior to ours the only way they can compete is to use the words of a troll in their sales pitch).

Yes, Turn is going through a transition. Things have not been perfect. What company is perfect? Yeah, you trolls didn't get your IPO cash out just for showing up to the office for 9 months. You now have to work hard and compete for business and not rest on your laurels. If you have strategy questions how about talking to someone. There is an employee survey and a company meeting every month where anyone can ask questions of upper management. The CEO for all of his faults has a cube in the middle of the frickin office. Its kind of hard to miss him to ask him a question as he is six foot seven. The management team is also accessible and will listen. Grow a pair and make yourself known and talk about your issues with someone. These are people who mean well who are trying their best and you can either continue to be part of the problem or try and make yourself useful and be part of the solution. Or else please leave this place. The rest of us want to win and you are bringing us down.

A non-HR biased review

Former Employee - Client Services - Account Management
    Former Employee - Client Services - Account Management

I worked at Turn full-time (more than a year)

Pros

1) Pay + Benefits. By marketplace averages + standards, Turn does compensate well. In addition to this, food is provided, phone bills expensed, gym subsidized, and gifts given for your anniversaries.

2) Well known in the programmatic space. This is advantageous for getting meetings and putting on your resume for your future endeavors.

3) You learn as much as you're willing to put in...fortunately for me, I had to learn to survive, and walked away better equipped for it. More on that in the "cons" section.

Cons

1) Work / Life balance.
    - If you're looking for work / life balance, then this is not the company for you. You are expected to respond to emails / calls / texts, no matter what day of the week it is. I can remember many instances where I had PTO on a Friday, but would receive a text message on a Saturday or Sunday with expectation that I'd respond to a client inquiry. Sadly, that was the norm versus the exception.
    - vacation / PTO - when I was at Turn, we accrued 2 days a month, but never had a chance to use them. Since the AMs shouldered so much, it was damn near impossible to take extended time off. So, I can imagine the unlimited PTO also having the same effect...and see above point about work / life balance. If an AM went OOO, chances are he/she would have to troubleshoot on a day off anyway, as everything relied on the AMs.
    - the cumulative result is burnout. You never get to take a real break or recharge, as you're always working

2) Expectations
    - if Turn feels that a partnership is valuable due to the name, then it will do whatever it takes to secure that partnership. This is usually how they get their foot in the door. And then, they bank on that publicity to drive additional business. And if you're assigned to that client, then it's likely that your life sucks. Going back to the work / life balance point, you are there for that client's beckoning, and expected to drop everything to assist.
    - your manager / director will expect the following in addition to the traditional AM roles: Technical Account Management, Sales Engineering, Ad Operations, Campaign Optimization, Sales Planning. In a smaller company, not all roles are completely defined, leaving the "gray" areas. Unfortunately for the AMs, they cover most of those.

3) Vision / Long Term Plans
    - when I first joined Turn, everyone was obsessed with either being acquired or IPOing. There's nothing wrong with wanting to get rich, but leadership should do a better job of outlining where they think Turn will go in the next year, 2 years, etc.
    - what does Turn want to be? While a lot of Turn's business came from the media / IO business, the focus went to becoming a SaaS company. Seeing as SaaS companies have higher market caps, you can't blame them. But, the resources and planning that went into doing this has been poorly executed. For internal use, the console was bearable / livable. But externally, it frustrated a lot of customers, and made life suck for those who had to support them (client services). You can't expect to sell your platform externally with inconsistent load times, bugs during releases, site being down, data not refreshing at the same time every day. For all the talk around being a SaaS company, the effort + resources required lagged.

Advice to Management

Who cares? They're not going to listen. As shown by the recent reviews (that HR either hasn't written up or asked employees to write in), people have been frustrated with the leadership of this company recently.

There are newer employer reviews for Turn