Turner Broadcasting

Leading Atlanta Employer

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting

Pros

Large organization, opportunities to advance are there for the right person. Salary and benefits are competitive.

Cons

Sometimes communication across silos can be difficult.

432 Other Employee Reviews for Turner Broadcasting (View Most Recent)

Fulfilling and busy

Former Employee - Research Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Research Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting

Pros

Excellent benefit package and opportunity to work with professionals with diverse backgrounds. Nationally recognized company.

Cons

Very competitive for job positions until you are already working within the company. Additionally, not always provided the opportunity to gain skill sets required to advance.

Encourage more opportunities for employees to work and become exposed with other departments. Additionally, for the lower ranking employees, offer ways employees can gain skill sets to advance.

Turner is still in the 19th Century.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting

Pros

Benefits are above avg. compare to most company's and on avg compared to most major company's in Metro Atlanta. The 150% 401k matching is outstanding.

Cons

There are a lot of issues with how the inter workings of Turner operates. The job posting system is the official listing system, but 75% of jobs are filled before they are ever posted. It is totally about relationships and who you are in good with. Management will lower job requirements to fill a position with a friend.

Sr. Mgt dares you to go to HR if THEY screw up. When you do and you can prove the employee was in the right, HR does nothing and does not protect the employe later. At that point, start looking for a job because you are a target. (I have seen it too many times to count).

The bad management in place hires more bad management and hides them until a reorg, then the bad hires get fired in 90 days. The web development side called "AMPT", most of the business brands (Sports, CNN, Cartoon Network, etc) HATE working with and will contract to outside development, every chance they get. One Turner brand stated in a meeting, they did not care what AMPT developed, they were using an outside firm to create there iPhone apps.

Turner has no true career planning, it is fully acknowledged, you have to develop your own plan of advancement. If you don't have a good manager that will help you develop the skills you need for the next level, you are SOL.

They talk about work life balance, great in some area's but does not exist in others.

There are some SVP's that get it, like in EA.

Before I came, people talked so highly about Turner, but once you get here I was told, you have to find those small pockets of good managers and stay their. There are even some VP's that will bad mouth you so you can't leave their department. Confidentiality is a problem as well when sharing information with some VP's as before you can get to your desk, they have called your manager or department VP to share your personal information but call themselves your "mentor".

I wish I had better information to share but I think its time someone share the truth about the inter workings of Turner Broadcasting.

I don't think Phil is the problem, its the middle management VP level (and in some case SVP level) that has rooted itself in the org and shields Sr. Mgt from the truth. One of the EVP's even told me, they know they have poor middle management. They promote & hire people to Manager and Director levels that have no people skills. Additionally, the Glass ceiling is in full effect !!! Another SVP told me that Sr. Mgt stated to her they can't find qualified non white male candidates for senior management. (umm?)

There are newer employer reviews for Turner Broadcasting