Great experience! Enjoy coming to work every day!

Current Employee - Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Organized & happy workplace with plenty of room to grow

Cons

Very corporate, long hours at times

Doing a great job!

Other Reviews for Turner Broadcasting

Great people and location in Atlanta. Senior management is struggling.

Current Employee - Senior Director  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Great People: The folks at Turner are genuinely awesome and friendly people, and clearly care about their work. I work with individuals who are eager to deliver great results, and this is always refreshing to see and be part of. I have made some really close friends at Turner.

- Benefits and Perks: You get in at Turner, and you get some really cool benefits. Excellent 401k, health, decent comp, fairly strong work life balance, nice summer and travel perks in the mix.

- Strong Brands: It is very hard to compete against the awesome brands we have such as CNN, Adult Swim, Cartoon. This always is a matter of pride for me when I discuss my work and company.

Cons

- Mediocre Senior Management: The men and women who run Turner have lost their leadership chops, especially with the serious advent of digital and other forms of media, and are basically coasting at this point. The company is successful despite itself, which isn't sustainable, and the leadership can clearly be seen to be managing to protect their jobs, max out on stock options, and keep NYC off their backs. Lazy, complacent and risk averse strategic vision at all divisions.

- Complete lack of career growth: Turner is literally packed with great and talented people eager to step up and do great work, but have collectively hit a wall in their careers. Many are suffering in silence but are rooted in Atlanta. Ceilings proliferate - glass, lead, kryptonite and steel ceilings for most except for the golden boys and girls. The company has no vested interest in developing its people, aside from the anointed ones who have been inducted into the "club". Loyalty, instead of ability, is rewarded at our company. Turner is lucky it is not located in NYC, half its people would have been poached already.

- Diversity: Turner constantly cites its diversity chops, but in the last 18 months, the company has lost close to 70% of its senior African American execs (Director/Sr Dir/VP/SVP/EVP), a number that was under 40, in a population of over six thousand employees. Many were forced out, as in more than half left due to lack of advancement, the rest were asked to leave for a variety of reasons. In the last year, a number of re-orgs has whitewashed the senior leadership teams at CNN, Turner Entertainment Networks, the Global Tech Org, Human Resources and Sales, with not one senior role held by an African American or minority exec. Turner Sports has an Asian SVP, but every single role from Phil Kent, his direct reports and 95% of their direct reports are of Caucasian descent. There is no hard evidence, but the optics are clear: there is a bounty on African American and Hispanic leaders, Asian leaders are non existent, and diversity at Turner is about Caucasian women only.

- Culture: One sad aspect of Turner is the passive aggressive culture. For those who tend to agitate for change or new ideas, this is a career negative, as the passive aggressiveness (especially from mid to senior management), turns the workplace very quickly into a hostile environment. Many talented folks have left or been forced out because of this.

I would not recommend to anyone who is passionate about their work, and is looking for a dynamic, creative and open environment. Definitely not for digital roles.

Step aside. Cash out and hand the reigns over to some new blood who can bring fresh air and ideas to re-energize the rank and file. Turner is getting out-coached and out-strategized by companies such as Disney, NBCU and FX on all fronts, and is very vulnerable due to the lack of courage and skills from senior management.

a pleasant experience

Former Employee - Financial Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Turner Broadcasting as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Nice colleagues, flexible environment and a good treatment

Cons

I didn't see any downside of this company

I am satisfied to the management

There are newer employer reviews for Turner Broadcasting.

Worked for Turner Broadcasting? Contribute to the Community!