Turner Construction

Overview

Former Employee - MEP Supertendent in San Antonio, TX
Former Employee - MEP Supertendent in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Turner Construction

Pros

Great pay good Benfits, good working area. Tool such as Turner University are priceless

Cons

The upper management does not tak into account your background

Respect you employees who go beyond what is asked of them and listen to Sr. PM advice towards who are the keepers and who should be let go instead of only looking at dollor signs. Experience and employees who lead by example are worth more in the long run.

225 Other Employee Reviews for Turner Construction (View Most Recent)

The best decision was quitting.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Turner Construction

Pros

You either work in the office or on the field. I worked in the office, aka corporate side, and received excellent dental and health insurance benefits. People, although some lacked knowledge, were generally very nice to one another and tried hard to get along. Management was understanding to give time off if you needed it for medical or personal reasons.

Cons

All management decisions were made behind closed doors, which occured DAILY. Management strongly disliked someone on their team. I am pretty sure 90% of the time, their conversation behind closed doors were about him. Gosh, how much bad mouthing can you say about your employees on a daily basis? I was new to the dept so I was always LAST to know everything. Sometimes, I wouldn't even know my coworkers wouldn't be in the office ALL week until I saw them show up at the office with luggage. Now, If I would of done that, I would of been fired. Everything started to be kept too hidden and secretive for me. I started to dislike them. People who did not pay me and were not my manager would stop by my desk just to see what I was working on. In my opinion, that is just nosy and annoying. I was never invited to conferences. How are you supposed to learn and grow when your coworkers and managers make you feel excluded? This is the reason why I started losing interest. This is a clear example that you can only get promoted if management likes you. The work hours in my Dept were by far the worst in the entire company. Some would work from 9Am to 3 in the morning!! You do not get paid overtime and the company announced they would not give raises due to the economy. So why are you allowing the company to suck the blood out of you?

Be more open to all members of your staff, regardless what level they are on. Make the staff feel like they are treated equal and that there are equal advancement opportunities for everyone.

Good place to start career, need improvements in management

Former Employee - Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Turner Construction

Pros

If Turner hires you out of college they put time and effort into training their new hires. You will often have at least two two-day training sessions every year. The size of Turner allows them to bid and construct many high profile and challenging projects. This gives operations employees a wide range of projects and areas to develop skills. Being so large, there are many individuals within each business unit with veteran experience in several areas of construction including stadiums, healthcare and higher education.

Cons

Turner seems to pride themselves on hiring the best talent, but when times are good and demand for more staff is high, they always seem to bring in sub-par talent. This oversight by upper management leaves job teams at a disadvantage. There is a divide between field staff and upper management. Information is rarely fed from the top down leaving most employes out of the loop.

Share information to the people who are the foundation of the company. Become more hands on, once you reach a certain level you distance yourself too far from the projects.

There are newer employer reviews for Turner Construction