Twilio

www.twilio.com
  www.twilio.com
There are newer employer reviews for Twilio

I feel very lucky to have found a job at Twilio.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twilio full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I actually like going to work everyday. The people I work with are dedicated to their jobs but not so single-minded that we can't have fun during the day. I feel like I am appreciated and my input is valued.

Cons

The commute to the city is a hike (but expected and a trade off for a higher salary). At least it's not too far from Bart.

Keep on doing what you're doing.

Twilio Response

Sep 9, 2014Chief People Officer

Awesome input and thanks for taking the time to drop a note into glassdoor! Sandy

22 Other Employee Reviews for Twilio (View Most Recent)

The 9 Values are For Real!

Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer

I have been working at Twilio full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love it here. People care; about the product, about each other, about the customer.

The talent at every corner of this company is staggering. And everyone I have dealt with is willing to help and teach and make things work.

Cons

A little process, but not too much, would be a great help as we grow.

Keep doing what you do. Keep empowering employees and customers. Keep "doing".

The Grass Is Not Always Greener. Or in this case, red.

I worked at Twilio full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Twilio is, and will be for some time, a leader in their space. The technology and the talent at Twilio is driving telecommunication to do things it is very uncomfortable doing. That being said, this a what a disruptive company looks like. They are taking a legacy industry and flip it in on its head. The Engineering talent at Twilio is unmatched and the collective brilliance is what has taken this company as far as it has gotten to this point.

Working at Twilio is much like going home to family. You see a lot of smiling faces and hugs all around.

Cons

This is where "family" takes a whole new meaning. Much like a large family you have cliques, favorites, and perhaps some people get a bigger allowance because of the favoritism.

The tension between teams is pretty ridiculous for a company this size and I believe there is zero empathy for what each team is going through. While each team is burdened in their own way, there is very little being done to curb or improve the camaraderie.

There still exists a small group of people who have been with the company for a long time that have major influence over hiring/firing and other seemingly meaningless business decisions that impact the morale of the company. Why this still exists is a mystery, but I am sure the sense of entitlement they must feel every day is somehow gratifying in their day-to-day work life. These people are often untouchable, unapproachable, and condescending to deal with.

While the engineering talent is tremendous, it's difficult to understand why so many failure points exist. Issues that are usually brought up after a big issue are rarely followed up leading to instances where the issue pops up again further impacting customers needlessly. A lot of focus is around what new features people are working on with very little thought around fixing existing infrastructure beyond the hyperbole people hear in group meetings.

One thing that also stands out is that people are pushed out of this company far too often. Good people. People with great ideas but those ideas may not align with the company gameplan so their jobs are made difficult until they decide they just don't want to take it anymore and they leave on their own or are simply just let go for very little reason. Bottomline: if this company wants you out, they are going to find a way. But just to be fair, this is true for most companies in the Valley.

Start looking from the inside out. Twilio has done a great job looking at the outside in. Hire more effective management whose ideas will be considered and implemented.

Communicate.

If something is not working do not be passive about it. Confront it. Ask tough questions. Making decisions to skirt the issue just continues to build mistrust and furthers the tension amongst the teams.

Training!!!

While Twilio is packed with tremendous talent there is still room for improvement. Along with career enrichment there should be a very clear path for training and added time to work on that training. This should not just be lip service!

Promote from within but do so based on merit. This is important as no one likes to see people promoted for reasons other than what they should be promoted for. People in leadership positions should be able to handle people well, know the technology, and know how to navigate the responsibilities that come with the position they're being promoted for. Doing so for any other reason will breed resentment and will often create further tension which leads to attrition. However, it often feels like this is the gameplan.

HR is often clueless about how to deal with major problems in the organization. Approaching them about problems is a pointless endeavor. This is a problem from the top down. Poor leadership in this department is leading to complacency and very little impact on dealing with existing employee issues. A major focus is on hiring with very little thought around what can be done to improve the working environment overall. Very little is being done to further this area for the company rather this department seems to be content keeping things as they are. A new face to lead this department with some insight on how to be prolific is HIGHLY recommended. It's ironic that Twilio is a valued startup with great ideas yet the HR team is operating as if they are in the 90's.

There are newer employer reviews for Twilio