There are newer employer reviews for Twitter

This place rocks. Don't want to work anywhere else.

Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are rad, problems get fixed, love the product. I've been at places that stayed the same indefinitely. Twitter is a company that is dynamic in it's goal setting and is willing to invest and pay off technical debt.

Cons

Some of your friends and family won't "get" twitter but have not problem telling you how many ninjas their pirates have vanquished on other social sites. The office has lots of benefits built in which can land employees on the entitled side...especially employees who have limited experience in the world outside of the silicon valley.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Full-time employee who chose Twitter over higher salaries and bigger names. No regrets.

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people here are friendly and open, and generally humble despite the high bar we set for hiring engineers. While at other companies I had often gotten the feeling that asking questions or going over to talk to another engineer was an unappreciated intrusion on their time, people at Twitter welcome questions and collaboration, and are happy to help each other; engineers who have been here several years treat newbies and interns with as much respect as they would another senior engineer. The message I got when I joined the company almost 2 years ago was to "never assume people within the company know best." This is a mindset I fully support and admire Twitter for having - it is so easy and can be so crippling to a company and to your own personal development to get boxed into thinking "we know best" and dismiss challenging viewpoints and ideas from the outside world. I could say plenty more pros on other aspects of the company, but this is by far one of the most motivating reasons I came to work at Twitter.

Cons

We have a chronic problem with email volume. Pretty much everyone at the company suffers from a flooded inbox. We try to fix this problem by making lists for different types of emails so only people who want the emails will get them. Great idea in theory, but the truth of it is that people don't get on the lists they need to get on, which means people posting to the right list don't get the message to the people they need to, resulting in them just resorting to posting on the main list again.

2. Exciting and challenging environment with a chance to make impact

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Green field work environment, smart people, tough problems to solve. Central location to all of SF and transportation.

Cons

Moves slow at times. A lot of moving parts that are not well defined.

Advice to Management

Keep your eye on growing the business.