Twitter

about.twitter.com
  about.twitter.com
There are newer employer reviews for Twitter

Full-time employee who chose Twitter over higher salaries and bigger names. No regrets.

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people here are friendly and open, and generally humble despite the high bar we set for hiring engineers. While at other companies I had often gotten the feeling that asking questions or going over to talk to another engineer was an unappreciated intrusion on their time, people at Twitter welcome questions and collaboration, and are happy to help each other; engineers who have been here several years treat newbies and interns with as much respect as they would another senior engineer. The message I got when I joined the company almost 2 years ago was to "never assume people within the company know best." This is a mindset I fully support and admire Twitter for having - it is so easy and can be so crippling to a company and to your own personal development to get boxed into thinking "we know best" and dismiss challenging viewpoints and ideas from the outside world. I could say plenty more pros on other aspects of the company, but this is by far one of the most motivating reasons I came to work at Twitter.

Cons

We have a chronic problem with email volume. Pretty much everyone at the company suffers from a flooded inbox. We try to fix this problem by making lists for different types of emails so only people who want the emails will get them. Great idea in theory, but the truth of it is that people don't get on the lists they need to get on, which means people posting to the right list don't get the message to the people they need to, resulting in them just resorting to posting on the main list again.

191 Other Employee Reviews for Twitter (View Most Recent)

Exciting and challenging environment with a chance to make impact

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Green field work environment, smart people, tough problems to solve. Central location to all of SF and transportation.

Cons

Moves slow at times. A lot of moving parts that are not well defined.

Keep your eye on growing the business.

Amazing culture, energy, transparency, and perks

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Love the energy and the overall atmosphere of my colleagues. These folks are so upbeat, optimistic and passionate about the product it makes you want to invest your own money into the company.

Senior management does a terrific job of talking about high-level goals and accomplishments on a bi-weekly basis. The vibe during those meetings is electrifying, thanks in part to the CEO Dick Costolo who's both energetic and hilarious.

Ideas put forward by non-managers/VPs, including those from projects that happen during a quarterly hack week, are also taking seriously. There are forums where such ideas are discussed, and when appropriate they're adopted into the product.

Last but not least, there are tons of amazing perks including 3x/day free meals prepared by a world class chef (seriously, you have to try it), free beer on tap, lots of activities/classes, etc.

Cons

Some people might be put off by the narrow pyramid of direct reports reaching up to the CEO, i.e. there are too many layers separating most employees from the CEO in comparison to some other companies.

It'd be nice if there was a formal venue for direct feedback from managers to direct reports on what they're doing well, and what they can improve on.

Also there needs to be a larger, more consolidated investment to solve once and for all the friction in the engineering workflow, i.e. code collaboration, testing, and deployment tools.

There are newer employer reviews for Twitter