There are newer employer reviews for Twitter

Outstanding combination of intellect, ambition and humour

Current Employee - Senior Sales in London, England (UK)
Current Employee - Senior Sales in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Humour - I laugh more that I've ever laughed in any job.
Culture - the culture is collaborative across departments and within teams - people want the whole company to do well.
High performance - I've been able to do things that I've never been allowed to in previous jobs - and I feel like I've learned massively from the process.

Cons

Sometimes the company feels like it is completely run out of San Francisco

The management across the board (locally and nationally) are open, honest and welcome feedback. It always feels like management are here to inspire us and direct us but never to check up on us.

184 Other Employee Reviews for Twitter (View Most Recent)

Terrible experience, glad to have left

Former Employee - Sales in Emea (Indonesia)
    Former Employee - Sales in Emea (Indonesia)

I worked at Twitter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employee morale is high largely due to an amazing set of benefits
    The work is interesting purely because it is always new and hasn't been done before
    There is a lot of opportunity to present to everyone at work on a weekly basis no matter where you are in the hierarchy
    Chance to use interesting tools and see the latest products the company are working on to add value to advertisers and clients before they hit the market
    Great brand name, perks, social time, pay is fair
    As the Americans like to say "we're making history"
    San Francisco HQ is amazing and so are the people in that office. Can't say the same for other people in "distributed offices" around the world.

Cons

Political - hiring has involved hiring large numbers of employees who have worked together and aren't necessarily proving they are doing a good job to the client (its their money being spent) versus appearing to do a good job in the eyes of the boss (whose money you aren't spending). Especially true amongst Account Managers in the sales team. Very difficult for employees coming from a different type of background (non-media owner or ad agency) to integrate can lead to one being left out.

Several instances of people denying they "knew" about something in order to make you look bad. Terrible attitude problem, horrific at times from staff.

Colleagues more senior than you will swiftly steal your ideas and present them as their own without any shame at all.

The company holds "referral jams" where everyone has a one hour break from work and has a list of job titles and must go through and find friends or ex colleagues to hire into roles via a referral system. Why on earth is this aggressively encouraged?

What is worse is when senior hires bring in too many former colleagues. Irrespective of whether those people are good or not creates factions and cliques. This isn't healthy in for an organization long-term and really encourages more politicking and huge amounts of favoritism at work

Sink or Swim - quick to crucify people in feedback sessions offer zero help or support to staff to improve situation.

Ethical concerns - Lying to clients and providing false information when internal systems report errors was a concern I felt I could not raise but was seen as a normal thing to do.

Bribery - so many gifts given to employees from clients etc has become an issue for the policy team to deal with. Senior employees tend to ignore this rule and fill their boots. i.e adidas running shoes, manolo bahlaniks etc.

Training - zero, expect a colleague to rush through how to do something then proceed to slam you in your feedback session for not doing it THEIR way because they are so precious about their work.

Hire SIGNIFICANTLY less people who are not ex-Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, Ad Agency. There are too many people from these backgrounds, this creates too many cliques at work.

Place less emphasis on hiring mainly by referral or your "ex colleague who is AH-MAZING" from Google et al. Permanently ban hiring from Google unless it is engineering talent.

PROPER training and on-boarding service for new hires. The first 90 days are so crucial for any new and this isn't emphasized enough. There is absolutely zero training.

NHO in San Francisco is essentially a few days fooling around in California. You hear a "nice" version of how Twitter was started and a talk from Dick Costolo and then that is it. There is no training, there is no excel training, there is no salesforce training, there is no training on how the business works, how agency relationships or client relationships work. Nothing. No training. Then after that you're free to leave and essentially be a tourist in California till you fly back home.

Exciting! For like 2 months...

I have been working at Twitter full-time (less than an year)

Pros

*Good benefits/perks, no doubt about it
    *Lots of offices including international

Cons

*Free food and alcohol gets old after a while- I would rather get a salary increase than a few drinks every week.
    *Promotions seem unattainable for people in entry-level positions.
    *A lot of layoffs with no real reasoning behind it.

There are newer employer reviews for Twitter