Twitter

There are newer employer reviews for Twitter

Proud to work here

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Twitter has a friendly and cooperative culture. This reflects on both the corporate level (emphasizing partnerships over competition) and the individual level (a collegial and friendly work atmosphere). I enjoy coming to work every day because I know that I am making the world a better place and not at the expense of others.

Twitter also treats users with the greatest respect, going to great lengths to protect their voice, privacy, and dignity. This constrasts greatly with many other social media companies which try to push boundaries as much as possible over their own users' objections.

Cons

Twitter is experiencing many growing pains. The software engineering organizations has not yet adapted to the massive influx of engineers.

When Google went public they strayed from the original spirit of "Don't be evil", which was already a low bar to begin with. We should keep holding ourselves to a higher bar and strive to "Be good", especially now that we are under pressure from shareholders.

191 Other Employee Reviews for Twitter (View Most Recent)

DREAM JOB

Current Employee - Technical Sourcer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Sourcer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hands down this is the BEST place I've ever worked. Twitter allows for personal growth as well as career growth. The greatness of the company is found in the caliber of the people that work there. Everyone is insanely smart and humble.

Cons

The company is getting a big big....

Very good so far

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Twitter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Overall, in many ways like Google at ~2004-2005 - but, fortunately, more relaxed. There is enough "green field" work, though less than 16 months ago when I joined. People are pretty energetic and motivated, but, fortunately, not up to the point of being aggressive or creating hierarchical cults. The overall culture is still in many ways engineer-driven. There is free food (very good) and even free beer :) Vacation policy is more or less "get as much as you need, provided it's ok with your manager". There is a free shuttle to the Bay Area... and, oh, yes - the IPO worked very well for employees, as far as I can tell.

Cons

It's difficult to find high-quality engineers and especially managers these days. I feel like the two managers added recently to my extended group are not extremely technically sharp. Also, I feel like occasionally the management in different parts of the company is unable to make a firm decision in one area or another, and lets things drag on their own for too long.

Don't lower the hiring bar. And encourage or even force competent managers to be more decisive. Some solution is usually better than no solution, and broken windows that stay broken for months aren't great.

There are newer employer reviews for Twitter