There are newer employer reviews for TxDOT

Not bad but can get redundant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at TxDOT

Pros

Not too much fear of layoffs

Cons

Work can get redundant and can be 8 hours of working on the same thing everyday

reviews filtered by
  1. Good experience with many opportunities

Former Employee - Engineering Tech V in Kaufman, TX
    Former Employee - Engineering Tech V in Kaufman, TX

I worked at TxDOT

Pros

Relatively good pay and good benefits.
    I had the opportunity to manage/inspect some significant projects with a lot of responsibility very quickly.

Cons

Quite a bit of outside work in the summer heat.

2. Favoritism run AMOK + engineers rule supreme.

Current Employee - Process Inspector in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Process Inspector in Austin, TX

I have been working at TxDOT

Pros

TxDOT offers a good benefits package, ample vacation/sick time, and a stable job where you could feasibly work for the rest of your working life.

Cons

TxDOT, even though a PUBLIC sector company, fancies itself an engineering firm. This having been said, if you are not following an educational civil engineering path you can all but forget about career advancement. Important areas such as IT, accounting, and Business Admin. are secondary and even tertiary to engineering. Also, performance takes a backseat to preference when it comes to fair performance evaluations. If you ask questions be prepared to one day take a knife out of your back.

There is a reason TxDOT is getting such a bad rap and it's not because of the regular employees. Retirees are leaving in record amounts. My advice is just because you have a title does not mean you are ENTITLED. Just like the independent audit stated recently "start rewarding the performers and stop ignoring the problem makers". If, in fact, we are supposed to provide topnotch service to the public, such service needs to start in-house.

There are newer employer reviews for TxDOT