There are newer employer reviews for TxDOT

Long term potential if you aren't interested in much advancement or money, unless you are a civil engineer.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at TxDOT full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of time off potential, especially since they don't pay overtime, and instead earn comp time. If you get fired then you did something completely stupid and unethical because nobody loses their job. Close knit working environment and friendly people. Great place to get career experience to move on elsewhere. Even though the pay is bad, the benefits are pretty good.

Cons

The pay. If you are not a CIVIL engineer it's pretty much a dead end place to work. Even for non-engineering positions TxDOT tends to hire engineers for. Upper administration makes decent money but regular employees don't. Management doesn't allow much decision making from regular employees and discourages it. The only potential to become a manager is if someone dies or retires. You are an enemy of the public and the media.

Advice to Management

Give employees some decision making ability which encourages ingenuity. Something needs to be done about the pay because those benefits that you use to retain people are getting more and more expensive but the pay isn't going up to help.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. fair

Current Employee - Engineering Tech V in Gainesville, GA
    Current Employee - Engineering Tech V in Gainesville, GA

I have been working at TxDOT full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

if you are in the right position you can spend a lot of time with your family

Cons

If you are not management or a engineer you do not make any money

Advice to Management

pay us more

Learned a lot due to working on the field

Current Employee - Engineering Tech I in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering Tech I in Austin, TX

I have been working at TxDOT

Pros

I learned stuff that I couldn't learn through textbooks, such as the different machinery that goes into placing concrete, etc.

Cons

Being outside for 9 hours a day in the heat of Austin definitely wore me out