There are newer employer reviews for TxDOT

Good experience with many opportunities

Former Employee - Engineering Tech V in Kaufman, TX
Former Employee - Engineering Tech V in Kaufman, TX

I worked at TxDOT

Pros

Relatively good pay and good benefits.
I had the opportunity to manage/inspect some significant projects with a lot of responsibility very quickly.

Cons

Quite a bit of outside work in the summer heat.

46 Other Employee Reviews for TxDOT (View Most Recent)

Favoritism run AMOK + engineers rule supreme.

Current Employee - Process Inspector in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Process Inspector in Austin, TX

I have been working at TxDOT

Pros

TxDOT offers a good benefits package, ample vacation/sick time, and a stable job where you could feasibly work for the rest of your working life.

Cons

TxDOT, even though a PUBLIC sector company, fancies itself an engineering firm. This having been said, if you are not following an educational civil engineering path you can all but forget about career advancement. Important areas such as IT, accounting, and Business Admin. are secondary and even tertiary to engineering. Also, performance takes a backseat to preference when it comes to fair performance evaluations. If you ask questions be prepared to one day take a knife out of your back.

There is a reason TxDOT is getting such a bad rap and it's not because of the regular employees. Retirees are leaving in record amounts. My advice is just because you have a title does not mean you are ENTITLED. Just like the independent audit stated recently "start rewarding the performers and stop ignoring the problem makers". If, in fact, we are supposed to provide topnotch service to the public, such service needs to start in-house.

Great place to learn

I worked at TxDOT

Pros

Very diverse company with Great Benefits, Competitive Pay and a variety of different career options in professional, technical, and support.

Cons

Long work hours at times with no overtime available.
    Opportunity for growth is limited when compared with the private sector.

Work more to improve performance among and moral among employees.
    Give more detailed end of the year performance reviews with ways to improve.

There are newer employer reviews for TxDOT