Tyco

www.tyco.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Tyco

Adequate salary and benefits, much instability due to split and possibility of company being bought

I have been working at Tyco

Pros

Decent recent reputation (several years after the scandal with the former CEO). Intelligent colleagues. Excellent bonus/incentive program. Benefits typical for comparative companies.

Cons

Pay is decent, but less than I'd made somewhere else. Medical coverage is not cheap. Up until now employees got the holiday week off, paid, but that is being discontinued going forward. Current split of the company makes job security non existent.

436 Other Employee Reviews for Tyco (View Most Recent)

Good place to learn new skills

I have been working at Tyco

Pros

Flexible Timings
    Great place to learn and acquire skills
    People are friendly and pleasant

Cons

Few folks lack leadership and managerial skills but still are managing department(s)
    Sometimes it is too Political
    Hiring process should be evaluated
    Pay is below Average

Should be more involved with the employees

Some things never change.....

Former Employee - Electronics Service Technician
    Former Employee - Electronics Service Technician

I worked at Tyco

Pros

This company is huge and needs good quality people to create and enhance it's image to the potential customers. With this stated it appears there are opportunities for growth in a big way. So here is a pro.... If you can procure a position in management or upper level sales there is a possibility you will enjoy working for this company. However, if you are a seasoned and experienced field technician and you work for a competitor, don't get the "grass is greener" syndrome because it's unlikely you will ever feel valued as one of the most important elements of a service and installation oriented company here.

Cons

I worked for Simplex in the early 90's, Grinnell before the merger, and SimplexGrinnell after the merger. I worked in two different districts accross the US from each other. So this is a totally fair and accurate review. First, Grinnell was a much better company to work for. Depending on which way the merger went (some districts were absorbed by Simplex management and some by Grinnell management) vastly determined the experience as far as working for this company. Let me say this clearly, "Simplex management has always been, from the early 90's until I left, the most ego driven, arrogant group of individuals I've ever worked for." Grinnell management was a pleasure to communicate with.

Why? Grinnell had a philosophy that understood that the fire and security industry is a service and installation industry. They knew how important the people that were in front of their customers were ie; sales and field personel. They treated the people that was the face to the customer with importance and the utmost respect. Simplex on the other hand, was and still is a "top down" company. It is riddled with highly paid management that is so out of touch with what we are all really here to do, "design, engineer, sell, service, and install facility protection."

Those service techs, sales folks, installation crews, ARE THE FACE OF THE COMPANY! And let's be clear about this, SimplexGrinnell is the most expensive company out there, especially where it relates to schools, industrial, institution, and municipal accounts. So if, as a company, you are going to be the most expensive, claim to provide so much more and on a much higher level, why you would disregard, gps vehicles to steal labor, treat with disrespect, the MOST IMPORTANT ELEMENT OF YOUR COMPANY is beyond me.

The field folks and most salespeople I worked with were great people and they really cared about what they were doing. From middle management all the up has the position the FACE of the company works for them. Wow, and how backward is this.....

Who is really working for who? Unload all of the dead weight, golf by 2:00pm management and allocate some of those funds to re-creating a fun and reasonable workplace for the folks that really generate the income. Watch out how fast revenue and margin rises when the face of the company shows up in front of the customers happy and bragging about their company and employer. Hire me as a manager at any level and I will show a real life example of "who is working for who." You guys are so out of touch with your employees you have no idea what an opportunity you have to be the best in the industry. It's right in the palm of your hands and you can't get past your ego to see it. Simple as that.

There are newer employer reviews for Tyco