Tyco

www.tyco.com
  www.tyco.com
There are newer employer reviews for Tyco

Great sales job but comes with typical corporate mentality

Former Employee - Electronic Systems Sales Representative
Former Employee - Electronic Systems Sales Representative

I worked at Tyco

Pros

This is a great place to learn sales. The amount of skills and sales experience I received in the 8 years I was with them were invaluable and have only helped me moving forward. Salespeople get a company car that includes gas, insurance and maintenance. Benefits are not bad (they were better years ago) and as far as pay, it's average for the industry. Each office is different and some are great and some are really bad, but overall SimplexGrinnell has a great reputation in the life safety industry. Upper management is top-notch and I had the honor to meet a lot of the people in the R&D and Engineering departments at corporate. These are the best of the best in the industry and their product is absolutely superior to the competition. You can be proud that you work for the Mercedes of the industry and there's a bit of smugness that comes along with this. This is not a bad thing! I can tell you that the competitors and the smaller guys do not like SimplexGrinnell and can only compete with them over price. This can be frustrating but the thing I liked best about SG is that we always sold VALUE. If you sell on price alone you are just a commodity and no different than the competitor.

Cons

Unfortunately, SimplexGrinnell has become your typical corporation where they say the customers come first but in reality, the bottom line was by far the most important. I would constantly hear how we need to keep the shareholders happy and a lot of times this would take precedence over the client. Almost every year, they would re-do the sales compensation plans because they felt the salespeople were making too much money. They would always say it was for OUR benefit but in reality, it always benefitted the company. Have a quota of $800k for the year and end up having a stellar year of $1.5M? Expect that next year's quote will be at least $2M, even though the only justification of this was because "you did so well last year and we know you can do it again." I can't tell you how many times we as sales people got hosed because of this. And don't expect any great sales awards or company trips unless you completely blow your number out of the water or reach 250% over your quota. Years ago they offered incentives that were actually attainable but the bar has been set so high and is so convoluted that no one knows if they'll be going on the BIG company trip until the final numbers are out at the end of the fiscal year. Moral is low because of the lack of incentives and has been a big complaint with the salespeople for many years. I don't understand why SG doesn't understand and acknowledge thus appropriately. But it is sad.

You need to offer incentives that are actually attainable. By making the bar so ridiculously high and the numbers you are looking for so convoluted, it takes the fun out of even trying to attain them. Don't kid yourselves in thinking that salespeople are motivated by just money alone. Recognition goes a long way and being acknowledged for your hard work is everything we work for. I loved getting a big commission check for closing several large orders, don't get me wrong, but it would have been fabulous to be able to go on a nice trip and be recognized for my efforts. Also, stop thinking you are saving a ton of money by offering sales training online. Employees aren't going to take an online class to learn something - it's just not going to happen. You can't replace face time with corporate instructors and being in a classroom full of peers. I can't imagine that the amount of revenue being lost due to the salespeople's lack of training isn't more than having actual classroom training - this is a shortsightedness on the company's part that nobody ever wants to acknowledge as being a problem. Your salespeople are asking for this - stop ignoring them!

350 Other Employee Reviews for Tyco (View Most Recent)

A typical large company

I have been working at Tyco

Pros

Understand the structure of a large company

Cons

Not very competitive salary in general

Not bad, not great, good comp

I have been working at Tyco

Pros

Well trained, skilled professionals given challenging work. Lots of historical issues that must be faced in day to day situations.

Cons

Very top down management that makes it at times feel too bureaucratic. Also, can lead to a lack of great communication.

Do more to have management appreciate importance of mentoring, employee feedback, and development so that all levels feel greater opportunity for growth

There are newer employer reviews for Tyco