There are newer employer reviews for U-Haul

Not the best, but it's a job.

Current Employee - Keyholder in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Keyholder in Dallas, TX

I have been working at U-Haul part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-There is great job security there.
-Room to move up in company pretty likely
-Very flexible with scheduling (important because i'm a full time student)
-Some employees are passionate about being there and they offer good advice

Cons

-Pay is not the best, but it's a pain in the rear to get a raise (worked very hard compared to the average CSR, NEVER showed up late, ALWAYS came in on time, promised a raise twice before, finally got it after 18 months).
-Communication is VERY VERY poor. Rules and protocol changes alot with no mention of it from management, so you are kinda left there in the dark.
-No breaks whatsoever, even on the weekdays. Really?!?!
-As a keyholder (opener/closer: one step below management), I am the punching bag for the management and the MCO. Basically, when there is no manager there, I have to take over. Here is the thing: I cannot properly manage the place. In the system, there are ALOT of things I cannot do, and that require management's approval for even the simplest things, so I have to constantly make phone calls, which makes me look like an idiot in front of co-workers and customers. Co-workers pretty much do whatever they want because I am not a manager. Being only 20 years old doesn't help the situation either. I was not given a raise to become a keyholder, which is complete bull if you ask me. And then, at the end of the night, when my co-workers do not properly close, I get yelled at the next day by management. When I tell the co-workers about it, they shrug it off because I am not a manager. I tell my boss, and he says "If they don't want to do it, then do it yourself". Like I said: PUNCHING BAG.

If you want to promote someone, TRULY promote them. (stated above). Breaks should be given out, not asked for. There is nothing wrong with starting out around $8/hr. However, give your good employees raises once and a while, and maybe that will show them that they are actually a part of the team. Schedule meetings with management and employees more often in order to increase communication about the new changes.

244 Other Employee Reviews for U-Haul (View Most Recent)

uhaul

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Plano, TX

I have been working at U-Haul part-time (more than an year)

Pros

they are flexible with your schedule

Cons

hard to advance in the company

be prepard

it was a short experience,start at the bottom for management postition

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at U-Haul

Pros

there is steady work here

Cons

there is not a good work home life balance

treat employees fair