U-Haul

www.uhaul.com
  www.uhaul.com
There are newer employer reviews for U-Haul

very rigid corporate structure but many undervalued perks

Former Employee - Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
Former Employee - Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at U-Haul full-time (more than an year)

Pros

fitness, healthy cafeteria, stable environment and close to a lot of lunch places

Cons

rigid structure, very tight with money (i.e. limit on paperclips allowed to use in a week)

263 Other Employee Reviews for U-Haul (View Most Recent)

Disrespected, underpaid, all around stressful.

Former Employee - General Manager in Milford, OH
    Former Employee - General Manager in Milford, OH

I worked at U-Haul full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The medical, vision, and dental benefits have good coverage. Close to home, 1 mile drive.

Cons

Constantly disrespected by customers and other employees. Management cannot have a single meeting without cussing at everyone. 60 hours a week of work but only 40 hours pay.

Be more professional with your employees.

Not the best, but it's a job.

Current Employee - Keyholder in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Keyholder in Dallas, TX

I have been working at U-Haul part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-There is great job security there.
    -Room to move up in company pretty likely
    -Very flexible with scheduling (important because i'm a full time student)
    -Some employees are passionate about being there and they offer good advice

Cons

-Pay is not the best, but it's a pain in the rear to get a raise (worked very hard compared to the average CSR, NEVER showed up late, ALWAYS came in on time, promised a raise twice before, finally got it after 18 months).
    -Communication is VERY VERY poor. Rules and protocol changes alot with no mention of it from management, so you are kinda left there in the dark.
    -No breaks whatsoever, even on the weekdays. Really?!?!
    -As a keyholder (opener/closer: one step below management), I am the punching bag for the management and the MCO. Basically, when there is no manager there, I have to take over. Here is the thing: I cannot properly manage the place. In the system, there are ALOT of things I cannot do, and that require management's approval for even the simplest things, so I have to constantly make phone calls, which makes me look like an idiot in front of co-workers and customers. Co-workers pretty much do whatever they want because I am not a manager. Being only 20 years old doesn't help the situation either. I was not given a raise to become a keyholder, which is complete bull if you ask me. And then, at the end of the night, when my co-workers do not properly close, I get yelled at the next day by management. When I tell the co-workers about it, they shrug it off because I am not a manager. I tell my boss, and he says "If they don't want to do it, then do it yourself". Like I said: PUNCHING BAG.

If you want to promote someone, TRULY promote them. (stated above). Breaks should be given out, not asked for. There is nothing wrong with starting out around $8/hr. However, give your good employees raises once and a while, and maybe that will show them that they are actually a part of the team. Schedule meetings with management and employees more often in order to increase communication about the new changes.

There are newer employer reviews for U-Haul