U-Haul

www.uhaul.com

Okay if desperate, NOT a career

E-Sales & Reservation Agent (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsI've made some good friends at U-Haul among my fellow coworkers. The pay during the summer can be VERY good. When you're actually able to help a customer, it can be very good. The dental coverage for part-time workers is pretty good; especially since many other employers offer NO benefits to their part-time employees.

If you happen to work in "the towers" (headquarters in Phoenix), or have to go in there for the training period, they have a very good cafe. Subway is across the street, but the cafe offers a very nice selection of food and beverages for decent prices. The coffee, especially, is very good.

There are many discounts on things, including a 20% employee discount on U-Haul products. There are also discounts on Apple products (even though we can't use Apple computers), Ford & GMC vehicles and other things.

In addition, U-Haul has its own credit union, which offers $500 quick cash signature loans to just about anyone whose been employed for 6 months or more. This can actually be a decent way to improve your credit score.

Scheduling flexibility is very good as well. In most teams, it's VERY easy to swap shifts or give up shifts. As long as someone else takes your shift, you are fine and won't get a mark on your record. However, when people are scheduled for 40-45 hours already, it can be difficult to find someone to cover your shift.

If all you want is a temporary summer job or a job while you find a "real" job, this isn't a bad deal.

ConsDuring summer, the hours are very long and grueling. You may get scheduled for a 2 or 3 hour day, then 4 ten-hour shifts. During this time, customers are especially antsy and angry because there simply isn't enough equipment available for everyone who's decided to move at the last minute. There is simply no time to breathe and management is very little help. Maybe there's not enough management, but getting answers to a frustrated customer's queries can take 5-10 minutes. If you're trying to get ahold of the customer's local branch for them, forget about it. Not happening. This just makes the customers even more irate.

Failures at the centers are often blamed on "the call center", whether or not that's actually true. "The call center" has absolutely no control over what equipment breaks down or isn't returned, which is how most locations end up being short of equipment to rent out. Be prepared for a LOT of customers hanging up on you if they suspect that you're not actually IN Bangor, ME or Burbank, CA or wherever they're calling from.

It doesn't help that many trainees are turned out on the unsuspecting public wholly unprepared. It's definitely unrealistic to expect that training will cover EVERYTHING, but every training class gets told different things. Some people had no idea how to look up certain types of reservations, some didn't know what our bonus structure was like, some weren't told important details about hitch or U-Box reservations. It's a mess.

Things get less hectic after Labor Day, but then you also get much fewer hours. Some coworkers are already getting 2 hours scheduled per week, which isn't a living wage. But we're still expected to have very open availability. Taking on a second job is quite difficult with this expectation.

The bonus structure was recently changed so that you're penalized for there not being any calls. This is not something you can control. Even if you're scheduled for a time when you only get 2 or 3 calls total per hour (which happens for overnight shifts), you're still expected to meet your quota which is based on scheduled and not actual talk time. When I was hired, it was based on talk time.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore organization. QA (quality assurance) is worthless if we're not all on the same page. Ask 3 different managers the same question about certain things and you'll get 3 separate and conflicting answers. This is NOT GOOD and DOES NOT help our customers.

Go in with your eyes open

General Manager (Former Employee) Mobile, AL

I worked at U-Haul full-time for more than a year

Pros: good training with their UHAUL university Cons: 6 day, 55 hour work week. Management is COLD toward employees... It's… Advice to Senior Management: Management style needs to change. when you require so much from your employees for just mediocre pay, you need to be more engaging in… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Forget having any life outside of work

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Cumming, GA

I have been working at U-Haul part-time for more than a year

Pros: Lot of customers are really fun to deal with and have a good conversations with. I really enjoy… Cons: The manager I have is very disrespectful, and always talks down to me reminds me of mistakes i made that are not relevant. Also tells… Advice to Senior Management: Please when you hire managers make sure to follow up with the… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on U-Haul.

Worked for U-Haul? Contribute to the Community!