There are newer employer reviews for U-Haul

More done with fewer people at lower wages

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Elkhart, IN
Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Elkhart, IN

I have been working at U-Haul part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work with good people. All U-Haul employees are smart, hardworking and enthusiastic about their jobs. Access to U-Haul equipment at discount prices, sometimes free. You'll learn a lot about trucks, trailers and the moving business. Get experience driving a forklift and dispensing propane. U-Haul definitely looks good on a resume.

Cons

High turnover while the bad get weeded out. if you're one of the good ones its not uncommon to get stuck working by yourself for 12 hours. Depending on location, stores profit goals can be unreasonable. If store is not profitable, you'll never see more than $8 an hour. Full time means you work 60+ hours a week at $9-$10 an hour equivalent salary.

Advice to Management

Rule by respect, not fear. Treat your golden boys and girls like gold, not like replaceable cogs. Don't rely on someone behind a desk who has never worked at a center to tell you how a center should be run.

Other Employee Reviews for U-Haul

Not the best

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Newington, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Newington, VA

I have been working at U-Haul part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work outside, good training in customer service, learn general knowledge about trucks and vehicles in general, basic sales knowledge.

Cons

high stress environment for extremely low pay, no real room for advancement, no benefits with part time (all employees except management classified as part time), only holiday off is Christmas Day

Advice to Management

treat your employees with more respect, we may not do that much in the grand scheme of things but without us you dont have a business, with one word we can turn customers to the competition, we deserve what we've earned

Okay if desperate, NOT a career

Current Employee - E-Sales & Reservation Agent in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - E-Sales & Reservation Agent in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at U-Haul part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've made some good friends at U-Haul among my fellow coworkers. The pay during the summer can be VERY good. When you're actually able to help a customer, it can be very good. The dental coverage for part-time workers is pretty good; especially since many other employers offer NO benefits to their part-time employees. If you happen to work in "the towers" (headquarters in Phoenix), or have to go in there for the training period, they have a very good cafe. Subway is across the street, but the cafe offers a very nice selection of food and beverages for decent prices. The coffee, especially, is very good. There are many discounts on things, including a 20% employee discount on U-Haul products. There are also discounts on Apple products (even though we can't use Apple computers), Ford & GMC vehicles and other things. In addition, U-Haul has its own credit union, which offers $500 quick cash signature loans to just about anyone whose been employed for 6 months or more. This can actually be a decent way to improve your credit score. Scheduling flexibility is very good as well. In most teams, it's VERY easy to swap shifts or give up shifts. As long as someone else takes your shift, you are fine and won't get a mark on your record. However, when people are scheduled for 40-45 hours already, it can be difficult to find someone to cover your shift. If all you want is a temporary summer job or a job while you find a "real" job, this isn't a bad deal.

Cons

During summer, the hours are very long and grueling. You may get scheduled for a 2 or 3 hour day, then 4 ten-hour shifts. During this time, customers are especially antsy and angry because there simply isn't enough equipment available for everyone who's decided to move at the last minute. There is simply no time to breathe and management is very little help. Maybe there's not enough management, but getting answers to a frustrated customer's queries can take 5-10 minutes. If you're trying to get ahold of the customer's local branch for them, forget about it. Not happening. This just makes the customers even more irate. Failures at the centers are often blamed on "the call center", whether or not that's actually true. "The call center" has absolutely no control over what equipment breaks down or isn't returned, which is how most locations end up being short of equipment to rent out. Be prepared for a LOT of customers hanging up on you if they suspect that you're not actually IN Bangor, ME or Burbank, CA or wherever they're calling from. It doesn't help that many trainees are turned out on the unsuspecting public wholly unprepared. It's definitely unrealistic to expect that training will cover EVERYTHING, but every training class gets told different things. Some people had no idea how to look up certain types of reservations, some didn't know what our bonus structure was like, some weren't told important details about hitch or U-Box reservations. It's a mess. Things get less hectic after Labor Day, but then you also get much fewer hours. Some coworkers are already getting 2 hours scheduled per week, which isn't a living wage. But we're still expected to have very open availability. Taking on a second job is quite difficult with this expectation. The bonus structure was recently changed so that you're penalized for there not being any calls. This is not something you can control. Even if you're scheduled for a time when you only get 2 or 3 calls total per hour (which happens for overnight shifts), you're still expected to meet your quota which is based on scheduled and not actual talk time. When I was hired, it was based on talk time.

Advice to Management

More organization. QA (quality assurance) is worthless if we're not all on the same page. Ask 3 different managers the same question about certain things and you'll get 3 separate and conflicting answers. This is NOT GOOD and DOES NOT help our customers.