There are newer employer reviews for U.S. Army Healthcare

Army Medical Department is a global enterprise that works hard for the patient and has many opportunities.

Former Employee - Staff Officer
Former Employee - Staff Officer

I worked at U.S. Army Healthcare

Pros

Wide spectrum of jobs.
High-caliber, dedicated employees.
A sacred mission that is practiced every day, in peace and in war.

Cons

Large bureaucracy; a bit clumsy on the corporate side.
Too reactive to political pressures.
Too many 'good ideas' which are sometimes implemented without appropriate resources.

Slim down the corporate headquarters; avoid making too many '1st priorities'. Pace mission execution; challenge organizations, but remain mindful of their limitations.

reviews filtered by
  1. Making a difference

Current Employee - Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at U.S. Army Healthcare

Pros

Serving in the largest health care organization in the world serving those who have volunteered to protect our freedoms. Highly dedicated professionals who make it a personal mission to make a difference.

Cons

The obvious stress on family of relocation and deployments.

Never stop innovating and investing in the future.

2. Great platform to launch from as a healthcare professional. An Army medical officer career has high highs and low lows.

Current Employee - Army Nurse Corps Officer in Fort Bragg, NC
    Current Employee - Army Nurse Corps Officer in Fort Bragg, NC

I have been working at U.S. Army Healthcare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I was a Nurse Corps Officer and there were/are many opportunities for personal and professional growth. Apart from my "job" as a nurse, I was afforded many opportunities at a young age to take on special projects, lead Soldiers and civilians, and just do otherwise neat stuff. I got to travel the world many times over, meet exciting people, and make life long friends. Overall, the compensation and benefits are great compared to your civilian peers.

If you're willing to take on some personal hardship and lifestyle changes, joining the Army honestly may be the best thing for you. It totally changed my family tree.

Cons

The Army Medical Department is very slow and cumbersome. We use antiquated, 1980's-era charting systems and techniques for the delivery of our care. Common sense solutions that are available off-the shelf right now can't be used in medical facilities (IT software, charting, billing techniques, referral procedures, etc.)

Although I'd like to believe that the people in the Army have a higher set of values, sadly that's not true. There are a lot of people who lie, cheat, and steal. Adultery, verbal abuse, hostile work environments are common.

You will move often. That was fine when I was young and single. But as a father and husband, it has been murder on my family. I missed the birth of my first child because of jerk leaders without souls.

Mission first, people always. It's not just a saying, it's our way of life. I wish more than 25% of you actually believed in this and demonstrated ethical leadership. It's sad to have to watch all the good ones go because of their frustration.

There are newer employer reviews for U.S. Army Healthcare