horrible in my district

Former Employee - Branch Co-Manager in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Branch Co-Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at U.S. Bank

Pros

Good company ethic, Good products and easy to sell

Cons

Awful health benefits (only expensive ppo's available), if you get into a bad district they believe only in negative reinforcement and you won't hear any encouragement

Advice to Management

Thoroughly look at middle management (district managers) because they set the environment for an entire area of people. In my district it was well known that there was favoritism. If the DM didn't like you then good luck on getting promoted. They seemed to prefer hiring from the outside then promoting from within. We never heard any positive feedback. However, when his boss would show up, or Richard Davis would call, our DM would act as if he was a model employee and everyone else would smile because they knew if they said one word bad about the DM their jobs were on the line. Saw it plenty of times over my few years there.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Trying to go from good to great just got worse.

Former Employee - Branch Manager in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in San Ramon, CA

I worked at U.S. Bank

Pros

Decent health benefits Good working hours 401k match up to 4% Staff is reliable if you are a good manager

Cons

Senior management useless in assuring that internal partnerships are functioning properly. Antiquated reporting systems often times two months behind what the norm should be. Zero accountability of business banking partner to branch manager. Annual branch revenue targets not assigned until middle of second quarter of the year! Revenue target set are not aligned with demographic. (Five branches in a city of 51,000?!!!) Revenue targets are arbitrary and analyst data not used to assign branch revenue target. Way too many metrics to meet in order to hit revenue targets. Disciplinary action does not follow protocol. Marketing and advertising? What's that? Biggest bank you've never heard of. Blatant favoritism. Staff has to fake enthusiasm to increase customer service scores. Staff and management disciplined if branch has a low customer service score.

Advice to Management

First and foremost, get some new computer systems and analysts so that reports can be generated in a timely manner, not one or two months behind. Secondly, stop killing trees! U.S. Bank uses more paper than any bank I know. Use electronic storage of new account information. Loan documents to underwriters still require faxing each document. Time consuming and a waste of paper. If a client emails tax returns, the underwriter should be able to receive it in the same format. Finally, I truly respect Mr. Richard Davis as the bank CEO and president. He is kind and very genuine when he speaks to an audience. He is highly regarded in the banking industry. That being said, some of his underlings are disingenuous and arrogant. Mimicking the words of Mr. Davis but treating lower management and staff like whipping posts, spewing words of anger and deceit and threatening each employee that their job is in jeopardy.

2. Enjoyable

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owensboro, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owensboro, KY

I have been working at U.S. Bank

Pros

An enjoyable place to work. Good hours with decent benefits. Holiday and vacation pay. Good chance for advancement within the company.

Cons

High turnover in employees. Work place is always changing because there is constantly new hires. High pace work environment and may be difficult for some individuals.