The good and the bad

Current Employee - In-Store Banker
Current Employee - In-Store Banker

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a strong company with many perks. US bank does amazing training, coaching, and listens to the employees. They are always trying to improve and be better. The customers are wonderful, and it can be a fun job with fun campaigns. The district management and ops specialists are also very pleasant and helpful and believe strongly in teamwork. Its a fun job with lots of opportunities to be promoted, etc,.

Cons

In my particular branch, the nicest way to put it is my managers are tyrants. Before I started they had a very high turnover and lost over 4 employees in 6 months. Im new to banking, and my manager is very unhelpful. She personally belittles employees, huffs and puffs when you need an approval or assistance, she tries to pry into our personal business, and she gets overly upset when sales goals arent met and throws around the fact we take her bonuses away. The bank can be very busy in the in-store enviornment. It becomes overwhelming doing teller transactions, offering products and doing the loans. It is the ultimate multi-tasking job, and its particularly harder for me because the management sits at their desk all day and doesnt want to help you or the customers. From what i've heard in other instore branches, the management style is similar and you are expected to sell sell sell and be nothing short of a slave. I also feel operations are constantly changing and it feels hard to keep up with, since the smallest of mistakes can get you fired. Its also a bank open 7 days a week and open til 7 PM during the week.

Advice to Management

I understand fully how the bank makes money, through loans, credit cards, etc,. But I feel its inappropriate to relate sales with punishment when you are still trying. It cant be helped when someone has bad credit, and most of our clientelle doesnt need a car/home loan nearly everyday. Be kinder and more helpful to the bankers and customers.

reviews filtered by
  1. Banking that is out dated.

I worked at U.S. Bank

Pros

Training programs were great at teaching the job when they were available.

Cons

Their technology was very dated. I was put through training for basics fairly late in employment.

Advice to Management

Update things to be more modern. You can walk into other banks and their tellers are using modern equipment and software, not stuff from the 90's.

2. Good place to work

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Conservative company the weathered the financial crisis by sticking to sound banking practice and not trying for the quick buck

Cons

Extremely large company and has the problem that goes with a stuck conservative culture. Not the best place to work if looking to be working on the cutting edge.