There are newer employer reviews for U.S. Bank

Wonderful people, typical financial services systems environment, would go back in a heartbeat!

Former Employee - "Executive" Based On Pay-grade (Titles Are Deceiving)  in  Minneapolis, MN
Former Employee - "Executive" Based On Pay-grade (Titles Are Deceiving) in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Leadership is smart (I may be biased since I was in leadership). Wonderful people to work with. Wonderful environment to be in; like family. Will embrace change, but you have to sell it up, down and across and it takes time.

Cons

At times will move counter to data based on historical perspective. Legacy systems create challenge for getting projects implemented. Tech resources challenging to get. Innovation takes longer (it is a bank though, so to be expected). Young in innovatively approaching the retail business. Pervasive silos in leadership.

To the extent possible, permeate the culture with more Venturo-like thinking (innovative) on the Retail side of the house. Innovation should be a part of the fabric of the entire organization. To do this, embrace people that think and operate differently. Celebrate the failures and the successes. Careful not to squeeze innovation out (and people that are "different" in ensuring success. You have created a pretty good culture. I know it's hard, but push to be even greater!!

1467 Other Employee Reviews for U.S. Bank (View Most Recent)

UNREALISTIC

Current Employee - Branch Manager  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at U.S. Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fellow employees trying to stay engaged and positive. Customer interactions. Team environment. Job security if you can handle it

Cons

This company will suck the life out of you! They expect you to act like a physician always on call, not matter what. However, the compensation in no way warrants the demands. You are never, ever, going to be able to deliver enough for this company. If you do well, they simply short staff your branch and expect more. They talk a good game about career development, work life balance, etc. Do not be fooled this is the WalMart of banks. High stress sells environment. Product selling masked behind "Needs Assessments". Senior Management is not involved enough in internal promotion opportunity allowing many under qualified individuals to be advance based on personal relationships rather than achievement and skill. Realize you can't push a product to the same customer that comes in every week. Find other reasons to value your employees! Micro managing people only brings down moral and is not motivating your employees! Realize that people have family's and a life outside if the bank!! Stop expecting the bank to be the employees first priority over their own family! Management is very disrespectful to employees, making them stay late if they didn't hit sales numbers. Talk down to managers and employees. Pressure for sales has employees opening other accounts for themselves or multiple accounts for one client, therefore they aren't growing the business at all. Goals are unrealistic, I've been in this business a long time and have never seen anything like it. Leaving company. So many employees are unhappy and stressed out. They were once a great company but have become pushy sales all the time. Unrealistic goals. Heavy micromanagement. Up to 4 conference calls a day. Employees who cheat the system to make goals are rewarded, while honest employees are managed out. It's not even a secret. Management doesn't care about you. You're just a number to them. The pay isn't competitive. Unbelievable rate of turnover. All the good managers quit because they realize, it will never change. Customers can open accounts, credit cards and take out loans online now, most of the customers walking in the branch need maintenance, help with fraud, difficult situations debt with and assistance with problems. There is not as much time for all the proactive calling and selling and balancing it all as senior leaders think. No assistance for help solving problems, we are on our own to find resources and correct problems for customers.

Shift your sales focus to quality and profitability instead of widgets. Talking someone into opening 3 extra personal checking accounts doesn't do much for your bottom line. Look up the definition of the word "integrity." Figure out how to stop management from needing to complete worthless and unnecessary duties to show numbers. Doing whatever it takes to win campaigns is taken literally by managers and they are constantly rewarded for it while the rest are forced to cover for them to go on awards prize trips with their families, leaving own branch short handed. The rest of the managers are left to clean up the messes others make, often customers go to other branches to report, and it is ignored by new DM's. Upper Management consistently communicates the importance of employee recognition, coaching and developing your teams, motivate, inspire, be a Leader not a Manager! Upper management does not know how to influence to motivate, they do not recognize achievement, they demotivate. The managers who call themselves leaders need retraining in leadership essentials. There is no work/life balance; my family has to come second and that is it. As a Manager, I am expected to meet all of the sales goals (through coaching my bankers) and will be written up if I don't meet those expectations. Because I am salary, I work 6 days/60 hours per week and it doesn't matter to upper management. Region expectation of not cutting hours during slow days in the middle of the week for Saturday mandatory working, for some managers, that is, not the "favorite ones", is unacceptable to work life balance. Forced to use then, vacation days for appointments and family responsibilities. Being told that we will be terminated for such attempts, is demoralizing to all. Only have experience in the Saint Paul/Minneapolis market, not sure if these same "mandatory" and "required" hours and expectations are mandated around the nation. 3 years in this role has been enough. Going back to where I was before. Grass is most certainly not always greener..............

UNIVERSAL BANKER, ASSISTANT MANAGER, BRANCH MANAGER

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time

Pros

There's no pros working there if you are not related somehow with senior management or are intimate friends with senior management. They take advantage of your skills by not paying you what you should be getting paid by brainwashing you that your position is an entry level position and that they are doing you a favor giving you a management position. They also never take in consideration all the good things that an employee does for the company there's no compensation for that. They only point out the "areas of opportunity" that you need to improve on.

Cons

They always get rid of the hardworking employees that exceed their goals because they do not want to pay their incentives. They love lazy people that just show up and do just enough to keep the company afloat so they don't pay incentives anyway.

Be more considerate of your employees. Keep the talet that really produ

There are newer employer reviews for U.S. Bank

Worked for U.S. Bank? Contribute to the Community!