There are newer employer reviews for U.S. Bank

Teller

Former Employee - Teller
Former Employee - Teller

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time

Pros

Co-workers are awesome. Hours are good.

Cons

No growth, low pay, benefit suck.

1449 Other Employee Reviews for U.S. Bank (View Most Recent)

Poor Training, Little Support

Former Employee - In-Store Banker
    Former Employee - In-Store Banker

I worked at U.S. Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

US Bank is more generous with paid vacation time than other employers. This is my only positive comment.

Cons

The bank has a "throw 'em to the wolves," "let 'em learn as they go" mentality towards training. Which makes no sense for a bank that is supposed to protect their customers' money. The fact that you're struggling to understand all of the different computer functions is your problem, not their responsibility to make sure that you understand your job inside-and-out before they put you on the teller line. God forbid you make a mistake on the computers, because the higher ups certainly won't see that mistake as a reflection of their poor training practices.

The job focus is entirely on sales. I'm not complaining that banks need to sell products to make money, but you'd think that the bank might bother to make sure their people know the banks' products well enough that the poor guy standing in line at the Walmart branch for who hours on a Friday can get an intelligent answer by the time he gets up to the window--one that doesn't involve scrutinizing the Baroque hell of the Who to Call list to figure out which three departments one is likely to be transferred to before the answer can be found.

Stop cutting corners with training and make sure your people know what they are doing. It might cost more in the beginning, but you'd be surprised what a competent, knowledgeable workforce can accomplish in terms of productivity and customer satisfaction.

Not horrible but not good

Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Reviewer  in  Robbinsdale, MN
    Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Reviewer in Robbinsdale, MN

I have been working at U.S. Bank as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

At this location/department I worked at we had a casual dress code so that was nice. This location was near a lot of places to eat which is pretty nice when lunchtime comes around. Manager I had was pretty laid back and one of the better ones I have had.

Cons

You can only start off as a contractor through a staffing agency in most cases and the chances of being brought on by US Bank is very slim. Very little flexibility when it came to working hours, even though the work you did (in my case) could be completed at any time during the day you could only work a set schedule. Pay ends up being on the low end of the scale once you get your feet wet and no motivation is given to work hard. Being able to move up in the company is also hard and the people who I did see get brought on or promoted just seemed to be the people who socialized the most but didn't really earn it. In fact one of the worst workers in my department got brought on.

Pay employees on a per file completed basis and offer bonuses or increases in pay for each file done for people with the best accuracy and production. This would allow employees freedom to work a little more on their schedule and have a vested interest in working hard and efficiently. I know this would only affect certain positions but they make up a large portion of the positions that aren't branch related.

There are newer employer reviews for U.S. Bank

Worked for U.S. Bank? Contribute to the Community!