U.S. Cellular

www.uscellular.com
There are newer employer reviews for U.S. Cellular

Amazing company to work for!

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Schererville, IN
Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Schererville, IN

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture and respect for their associates, great benefits and good work/life balance.

Cons

Too small to compete with the big carriers and sometimes ignore the realities of the marketplace until it is too late.

Be realistic when looking at the marketplace, don't say the lack of the iphone isn't hurting us and then tell us almost half of the customers leaving are leaving to get the iphone.

601 Other Employee Reviews for U.S. Cellular (View Most Recent)

Great experience working for a company that focuses on values and behaviors not just results

Current Employee - Retail Sales Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Works with employees to help with development, encourages employees to do their best, focuses on values and behaviors not just results

Cons

Sometimes upper management tries to sugar coat things instead of just explaining what is going on and why

If you can drink the kool-aid, you're set for life.

Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant and Small Business Specialist in Knoxville, TN

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (more than an year)

Pros

(I was a Retail Wireless Consultant)
    - Decent pay for what you're doing.
    - Don't need much education.
    - If you're in the right store, you can have a great manager and learn a lot.
    - Mary Dillon, the CEO, is intelligent and is definitely trying to make the company as big as she can.

Cons

- Incredibly repetitive.
    - Customers aren't usually very smart, which can be exhausting.
    - You HAVE to believe US Cellular is better than everyone else in order to be successful. Ad campaigns don't usually paint an accurate picture (for example, we ran a campaign that said customers could save up to $300 a year if they switched, however, the campaign was comparing Verizon and AT&T unlimited plans to our 450 minute plans. Not quite the same.)
    - Most stores don't have good management, and so you have to deal with things you shouldn't have to. For example, in my store, my manager played favorites more than anything I've ever seen. She had someone fired because she did not like them (she told me in a one-on-one), simply by writing down every single little thing they did wrong (including things that would normally be done wrong if you were new, like not signing the closing list). She said, and I quote, that "if she wants to get someone fired, she'll write down everything they do wrong until she has enough of a reason to fire them." She also used the store's ideas to further herself in her career, which builds resentment in the team.

There are newer employer reviews for U.S. Cellular