U.S. Cellular

word don't match actions

Current Employee - Sales Representative
Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at U.S. Cellular

Pros

good pay, easy job (compared to physical labor, I guess)

Cons

you have to play the game and talk the talk, management is not concerned with walking the walk, advancement is more about who likes you personally, the message is customer focus but managers seem more intent on increasing your non-salesfloor workload than reducing it, since jack retired the culture is slipping away and becoming a numbers driven company like every other one

demonstrate you care about us before you ask us to trust you, morale is at an all time low.

580 Other Employee Reviews for U.S. Cellular (View Most Recent)

Coaching can be rewarding, but there are drawbacks.

Current Employee - Customer Service Coach
    Current Employee - Customer Service Coach

I have been working at U.S. Cellular

Pros

Culture is second to none.
    Ethics and empowerment are strongly encouraged (and expected).
    Communication from middle and upper management is transparent. We know what is going on with the state of the company.
    Casual dress work environment.
    Continual hiring for customer service reps--higher than average market rate for new associates.
    Free cell phone service.
    Quarterly bonuses (if meeting expectations)

Cons

Customer service organization culture cult-like--such behavior is nearly non-existent in other departments: in disciplines, the associate is always considered to have made an active choice, thereby eliminating any 'fault' of the organization. Instead of thorough investigations to eliminate any potential blowback through legal channels, discipline is done by behavioral observation with assumptions taking precedence over truth. This allows supervisors to apply the behaviors as 'contrary to the values and behaviors of the Dynamic Organization.' Supervisors are asked for their opinion around shift bids and to 'own the business,' but considerations of work/life balance are never entered into the final equation when shifts are doled out. The party line: Coaches are placed based upon the 'needs of the business.' Most supervisors are unclear exactly what those needs are, since we are all expected to perform at a high level. The exception: Supervisors who are on the 'right' side of queue leaders are provided with the most optimal shifts--it may be perception, however in an organization that values perception over reality, this matters. Supervisors will consistently talk about and to the culture of the organization, but there is a lot of underground discussion of dissatisfaction. At one point, there were several supervisors placed on performance improvement plans (equal to final written warnings) that were levied based solely upon hearsay, false perception and/or the input from underperforming front-line associates. This resulted in driving communication underground, when directors and senior leaders were talking about "open communication." One queue leader (manager) let slip that the company was seeking to achieve 'salary optimization'--which resulted in a moratorium on raises, career growth and bonuses for those supervisors who were placed on performance improvement. If you want growth based upon real performance, go into the retail environment.

Do a thorough top-down review of the Customer Service Organization. Remember that the lowest level of leadership consist of associates too, so if you value associates the way you say you do, you would do something about the treatment of coaches. Make decision-making more transparent--if you tell us we are placed where the needs of the business are, tell us specifically what those needs are that we can only fulfill based upon our strengths. Do not assume critical communication among peers in an open forum with queue leaders present is the sign of a "culturally deficient" coach; it is likely that it is driven from a place of love for the organization.

One word: Horrible.

I have been working at U.S. Cellular

Pros

When I first started working here the D.O. lifestyle was full bore. People were supportive, fun, and hardworking. Not anymore.

Cons

Just this month 3 people in my store have been wrongfully fired, the sales manager is incompetent and knows nothing about the CARES system so he can't even help when he's on the floor. He tried to fire me for missing 3 days of work when I had a doctors note for each day AND I was in the hospital finding out I could have LYMPHOMA! All things he knew and were included on the doctors note yet three days later, he tried to fire me. The associate phone program is entirely ridiculous, you can't even pick your own phone and have a worse plan than if you were a customer. Also, no one is "D.O." anymore. And the worst thing, morale is so far gone. It's not even "low" there just isn't any morale.

Hire people that give compassion to their employees when they need it.

There are newer employer reviews for U.S. Cellular