There are newer employer reviews for U.S. Cellular

Be scared to "Believe"

Current Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in New Bern, NC
Current Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in New Bern, NC

I have been working at U.S. Cellular

Pros

Good Energy, Good Business Model, Competent Management, Excellent Benefits, Free Cell Service, Discounts on Accessories, Good Training Opportunities, Lifelong Relationships

Cons

Poor Hours, No work life balance, poor compensation plan, not flexible to work with, seeing lots of budget cuts, behind in technology.

Look in to the compensation program, obviously it is not very re assuring to your associates. They are all looking into other companies compensation.

559 Other Employee Reviews for U.S. Cellular (View Most Recent)

One bad apple spoiles the bunch....

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bolingbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bolingbrook, IL

I have been working at U.S. Cellular

Pros

Benefits Good Medical and Dental plans, 401 K
    Apparent ample managment opportunities
    For the most part clean work environment
    On going training
    Bonuses promised

Cons

All calls recorded -except when it's in a coach’s interest. (You can be written up for a call, but have no 'call' to reference or have the ability to listen to the call for proof or example of violation)
    Negative work environment. How well do you handle being lied to (from callers) for most of your shift? Also most employees seem to be driven by fear.
    Feedback Not constructive. Coaches seem to justify their positions by 'nit-picking'
    Management? Too many....most just stand around or attend meetings. Heaven forbid you need to speak to one to resolve an issue.(Good luck finding one...they're in a meeting)
    Pending what you get for a coach depends on your chance for success. Coach I had made themelves rarely available and was very biased toward female employees.
    Older male employees have little opportunity for advancement
    Bonus depends on your team. ..One screw up affects everyone
    Your shift can change when restructuring occurs at company (even if you accepted the position based on the shift opportunity you were promised...although no mention of restructuing ever comes up during interview process)
    CSR are Baptised by fire. The majority of your training comes once you are actually placed on the floor (explains the time on hold and the poor CS you received doesn't it?) even though you go through 6 weeks of training.

Reduce the number of managers. Is it really necessary to have 8 managers 'observing' a training session? Make HR Available directly without having to have the coaches involved (since they are usually the problem needing to be addressed). Promote some Caucasian MALE employees (disproportionate number of female minority managers at BB facility)
    Make the coaches actually coach! When you ask a question you expect an answer not, "I'm not going to tell you...figure it out yourself"

I believe in something better...

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at U.S. Cellular

Pros

The Agent side of U.S. Cellular is alot different than retail. Things don't have to be so cookie-cutter like the retail stores, so it gives you more room to be yourself and do things your way. U.S. Cellular as a whole is a nice place to work. They focus on "doing what's right" for the customer, so you don't feel like a sleazy lying salesperson who will sell the customer anything to make a buck. For the most part they treat us well.

Cons

Agents get paid MUCH less than retail employees who do exactly the same thing. There is also no way for an agent employee to apply to work at a retail store without being unemployed by the agent for at least a month. For people who have families to support, this is usually not very practical. Retail employees get to participate in contests, do fun corporate activities, and when inventory is being rationed, such as a phone that EVERYONE wants...they get them all. Plus U.S. Cellular just re-structured commissions - huge pay cut for us, profits for them go way up.

Treat everyone the same. Act like you care about your employees as you do about your customers. Sorry, but I can't really put on my fake rah-rah attitude when I'm stressing about how I'm going to feed my family, due to my huge pay cut. Thanks.

There are newer employer reviews for U.S. Cellular