Patient Care Technician

Former Employee - Patient Care Technician in Little Rock, AR
Former Employee - Patient Care Technician in Little Rock, AR

I worked at UAMS Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great!! Tuition discount is a plus!!

Cons

Work as a patient care technician is horrible if you are on the 6th or 9th floor. Heavy patient load and the stress is too much!! Incompetent and unappreciative nurses on those floors. All of the other floors to work for are good.. Not as stressful and the nurses treat you with respect and appreciate you more than the other nurses and supervisors on the other units.

reviews filtered by
  1. Decent place to work, but in general, pay is lagging

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at UAMS Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's possible to accumulate liberal vacation time, even if you aren't paid enough to go anywhere interesting while on vacation. Tuition discounts for employees at state universities. On-site gym, but you must pay to use it. Matching contribution to retirement up to a certain percentage.

Cons

Ultimately, you're working for the state of Arkansas, so pay is low. If you want a higher salary, the best strategy is to leave and then to apply for another job. If you stay and apply for a job, they will only offer you lateral pay. Parse through this carefully and strategize. Health plan is not particularly good. Plan penalizes you with high co-pays for doctor's visits if you go to a PCP who is not a UAMS emp. The food in the cafeteria is incredibly unhealthy for a medical school. French fries, pizza, hamburgers are served every day. Kid you not. Food service is completely unfamiliar with modern nutritional concepts.

Advice to Management

Don't charge people for using the gym. Quit penalizing people for going to their own doctors. Pay us more. Quit serving junk food.

2. Depends on Who You Work For - Careful

Former Employee - Project Analyst in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Project Analyst in Little Rock, AR

I worked at UAMS Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great State Benefits. New Equipment. Decent Cafeteria.

Cons

If you are unlucky enough to work for a crappy boss, there is not much hope for you. During my time there, I worked for a very socially-inept Department Chair at one of the Colleges who was disorganized, unprofessional, and prone to play the "blame game" when he forgot to tell me very important pieces of information that I was supposed to be handling.
    He threw me under the bus more times than I could count and had been through 2 project managers before me. Apparently the Dean of the College was oblivious to the fact that maybe it wasn't "everybody else" who had the problem. Sadly, this Department Chair is still there and has been through 3 more PM's since I left.

Advice to Management

Just because someone has a PHD behind their name doesn't make them a good boss. There should be a review where employees can give feedback and also better attention on how many secretaries and project assistants certain Department Chairs go through.