UBM

Lazy Lifers Wanted

Former Employee - Production Editor in Manhasset, NY
Former Employee - Production Editor in Manhasset, NY

I worked at UBM

Pros

I've been there for the good days and the bad days. In the good days, there were tons of perks, bonuses, parties and events, generous salaries, awards. There was an acceptance of work-life needs that wasn't found elsewhere. The type of leadership you'd find really depended on which publication you worked on, and in which department, but my top manager on my first pub was absolutely top notch! He personally allowed for practically unlimited professional growth. Whatever level you were willing to take it to, he was supportive. He didn't throw money at you indiscriminately, but certainly rewarded good work. I'm describing my "good" experience strictly within a single publication. This description does not include senior management.

Cons

Low expectations plus high salaries equals a staff full of lazy lifers! It's dull, creatively stifling, and breeds dissatisfaction. Underqualified people often find themselves promoted, by default (i.e. somebody above them leaves), to positions they aren't equipped for. This leads to either a false sense of entitlement, or a shifty fear of being found out. The fear of being discovered leads these people to make a full-time job of sabotaging others to make themselves look good. I saw this across the board, in the good days and the bad days, at the nice pub (at the middle management level) and the not-nice pub (from the top right on down!). You can't just promote someone because they're THERE and expect them to lead with confidence! In the last pub I worked on for this company, I saw four people in a row (on ONE publication!) get witch-hunted, provoked, sabotaged and set up to fail, so they were eventually fired. The economy had gone sour, jobs were being cut, and it became a game of predator and prey. If you didn't want to be next, you had to make the other guy look bad, and some people did this with relish. It was truly shameful, but I don't think the company is like that across the board. That one particular publication is led by a 20+ years lifer with a God complex. Play up to that ego, and you can stay, regardless of your qualifications or lack thereof. But... why would you want to?

Raise your expectations and encourage people (positively! not by fear!) to meet them.

60 Other Employee Reviews for UBM (View Most Recent)

Not so bad. Not so great.

Former Employee - Editor in Manhasset, NY
    Former Employee - Editor in Manhasset, NY

I worked at UBM

Pros

Benefits were great and generally it was a fun environment. I was promoted several times, and, to be honest, never worked all that hard (although there were some exceptions).

Cons

Vision was a overused and under utilized word. Battles developed over the silliest and most irrelevant things. You basically had to be incompetent AND stealing from the company before they would fire you--just one element and you'd linger on for years.

Communicate! No double speak.

Walk - no - RUN from any offer at CMP.

Former Employee - Regional Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UBM

Pros

CMP has some great publications, and a decent reputation in the industry from a content/publication standpoint.

Cons

Politics run everything at CMP, and their management team is one of the worst in publishing. Fear and intimidation are the tactic of choice, including calling the office at 6am and 6pm each day to "check up" on who is in the office and who dared to go home. Work life balance is in serious disarray. I worked for a competitive publisher for 6 years prior to joining CMP and can confidently say that CMP is in serious need of a major overhaul.

If management would spend as much time developing the product and teams as they spend in backroom politics, self-promotion and intimidation, CMP might have a change of regaining its previous status. For now they seem doomed.

There are newer employer reviews for UBM