UBM

www.ubm.com
There are newer employer reviews for UBM

Walk - no - RUN from any offer at CMP.

Former Employee - Regional Director in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Regional Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UBM

Pros

CMP has some great publications, and a decent reputation in the industry from a content/publication standpoint.

Cons

Politics run everything at CMP, and their management team is one of the worst in publishing. Fear and intimidation are the tactic of choice, including calling the office at 6am and 6pm each day to "check up" on who is in the office and who dared to go home. Work life balance is in serious disarray. I worked for a competitive publisher for 6 years prior to joining CMP and can confidently say that CMP is in serious need of a major overhaul.

If management would spend as much time developing the product and teams as they spend in backroom politics, self-promotion and intimidation, CMP might have a change of regaining its previous status. For now they seem doomed.

70 Other Employee Reviews for UBM (View Most Recent)

Boring, stable, and not to tech savvy

Former Employee - Web Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Web Developer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UBM

Pros

It was a good enough job, without too much pressure. People were by and large friendly, benies were good. They didn't expect too much of their technical staff which allowed me to learn quite a bit, even though I had to initiate it all. It would have been a great place to calcify, not learn anything, go home on time every single day, that sort of thing.

Cons

Not a place to innovate, not a place to push yourself or others to do fantastic things.

You need better technical managers, first off. People involved with the business, who know the business, but who can spearhead technology in a professional way. There's a very garage-y approach and I think it hurts the company.

Do NOT work for this company unless you enjoy frustration, and banging your head against walls

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at UBM

Pros

If you cant find another job, then perhaps, but only then

Cons

My career has actually regressed since working at CMP, and I am paid less than i was 5 years ago, if you factor in cost of living.

Let people do the jobs they are paid to do, and not everyone elses.
    too many people make decisions that are irrelevant to their jobs, and hinder
    others from doing their jobs well.

There are newer employer reviews for UBM